Be sure to update...

This is no longer an active blog.

Please visit me now at Thoughts from Alice W.

Hope you will stop by for a visit!
~Alice W.

Friday, December 21, 2007

A New Name?

So one word that has described me for most of my life is indecisive. I don't know why, but I have the hardest time making decisions...big or small...no matter...I just can't make up my mind! I hem and haw...go over the pros and cons...and back again...ask everyone I know who will listen for their opinion...and anything else I can think of to put off making a decision. This comes to where to hang up a picture in my home...to what should I wear to this/that event...to my current question that I have been pondering for about a month now...

What should my business name be???

Ok...hear me out on this...my business is still very new (my website is under a year old, even though it feels like much longer that I have had it!). When I first decided to "open" my own e-commerce site, I had no idea what I was really getting myself into. I quickly picked a business name I thought I liked ("Alice's Looking Glass") and went with it....for a few months. I used variations of it a bit here and there over the next few months (including: "Alice's Looking Glass Studio" and then "Looking Glass Studio").

Then after about 4-5 months with those names...I did a complete overhaul of my site and the direction I wanted to go in...mainly choosing to focus on my first love...all things shabby and romantic ;). I spent days trying to think of a name that first of all wasn't taken (or so I thought!), and that fit with the "shabby chic" theme. I finally came up with...Faded Rose Cottage.

Well soon after changing my name...I stumbled upon an eBay seller going by the same name. She had been using this name long before I started, but I figured since she didn't have a website with the name, it would be okay. Then...later I came across another website "The Faded Rose"...a popular business that actually has two retail locations. So suffice it to say...now I am feeling very "unoriginal." Neither of these businesses have ever contacted me in regards to my business name. This is just a personal decision to respect their work/businesses that I am choosing to change.

I know it is impossible to be completely different/unique with a business...ideas...products...are always being reworked...redone in a "new" way, etc. I just can't help but thinking, however, that I would really love to have a business that is truly my own. One that really represents who I am, what I love and what I have to offer.

Now here's the problem...a decision needs to be made *insert my disgruntled face here*. I would very much like to change my business name within the next couple of months to something that will hopefully stick with me for a long time. I have some ideas...but am still trying *desperately* to come up with something I love!

I would like the name to reflect all aspects of my website...my web design/graphic work, my artwork, vintage & flea market finds, shabby cottage home decor items, etc. I would like the name to have a bit of whimsy...but not in a way that doesn't accurately represent me.

Perhaps I am making more of a big deal than is necessary...such is my nature! But I would sure appreciate any thoughts...advice...ideas...opinions you may have on the subject!

I plan on posting a poll soon with some names I am considering...to get some feedback on what everyone likes. I know I won't be able to please everyone no matter what I choose...I am just trying to make this HUGE decision a teensy bit easier for little ole' me!

Ok...enough rambling...onto some decorating fun!

I just posted a new "holiday" vignette from my home tonight! Many of you may have seen these photos if you have checked out my Flickr photos or viewed my "Holiday Home" blogs...but for those of you who haven't...head on over to check it out when you get a chance!

18 comments:

Antique Paperie said...

Alice - the vignette is gorgeous - as are all of the past vignettes you have done. They are not just "pretty", but stunning, in great detail. Fabulous Job! Also, I was thinking the same thing about my Business. I came up with "Paperie" and then alot of other people started using Paperie and then Variations of it - Papier,Paperie Desserts, Treats.... etc...so now it's run amuck and not very Original.
I have an idea for you: Since you are so romantic & shabby - (and I see alot of Victorian/Antique mixed in) - I think it might be fun for you to research Antique Books, Antique Romance Novels or Old Ladies magazines - search the words, and then put the words you like together to form your new business name. Remember, alot of those Antique Books will have many different and unique words that we can't find in today's "modern" books. Who knows - you might just find that gold at the end of the rainbow, sweets!
Wishing you much luck friend-
xo Sherri

Kerryanne English said...

I'm late, I'm late for a very important date....forgive me sweet Alice...here goes.
Happy Birthday to you,
Happy Birthday to you,
Happy Birthday dear Alice,
Happy Birthday to you.

Sorry sweets, I had a major computer crash and have been off line for what seems like ages. Have just managed to catch up with your beautiful photos of your Christmas apartment and the fun birthday bash.

It all looks so beautiful and perfectly put together - you certainly have an eye for detail.
Christmas hugs,
Kerryanne

Natasha Burns said...

Alice I love your vignette, as always!

I hear you with the name, you do make a lot of sense and it's totally understandable you want something to be a unique representation of you and what you do!

I really liked Alice's Looking Glass, I still refer to you as that actually! I forget names that have roses in them, they are all blending in to one another. One thing for sure is you always own your name and having Alice in there somewhere I believe makes it personal, and also adds a touch of whimsy because people might automatically think of Alice in Wonderland. I'd love to see the names you are thinking of, I bet you've got some great ideas! xo

Vintage Rose Collection said...

Alice,
What a beautiful blog you have; your home and photographs are stunning! A perfect mix of old and feminine ( without too much fluff). Theres a fine line there and you have mastered it.

Does Fifi know about you? I would love to see your home in the pages of Romantic Country!
Happy Holidays,
Jo-Anne Coletti

Vintage Tea said...

I can understand your difficult decision, I only started my blog recently and struggled to come up with the right name and am still not sure whether I am happy so to pick a name that will accompany your business I can imagine is very hard.

I'm sure you'll pick the perfect name in the end!

Best Wishes

Victoria

Eve Barry said...

Alice,
What is your middle name?
What is your husband's middle name?

The name for my business is Eve Barry Design. Not only is it original but I love living vicariously through Eve. I currently have her shopping in Paris for the store.
Good luck with your search,
Elizabeth

Alice W. said...

My middle name is Marie...and my husband, unfortunately, has NO middle name! Can you believe that? He has four siblings and none of them have a middle name...and he doesn't even believe me when I tell him it's weird...haha ;)

Thank you all for your help! Your advice has been amazing so far! We are still brainstorming...

lala123 said...

I know you have probably thought of this yourself and I am surely stating the obvious, but every time I see the phrase romantic vignette it makes me want to look, and you certainly have a talent for creating them, so why not The Romantic Vignette? Just a thought.

Merry Christmas
Liz

Alice W. said...

Thanks Liz!! You know...I actually have never given that a thought! (If you can believe it!) Now I am adding it to my list to consider!!! Thanks so much!

mademoiselle*rose said...

Hi Alice

I've only just discovered blogs in the last month. It sure is fun reading them. This is my first comment on a blog and I thought I'd put my two cents worth in!

It seems that no matter what you come up with someone else will think it's great and make a variation. Before you know it you can't tell one from another. I know I have trouble with sites with shabby, rose and vintage. I quite often see things I'd like to buy and I can't remember the name bec they all blend into one and I have trouble distinguishing them.

A previous post talked about your name and I'd agree that if you use your name then at least 95 percent of people won't copy it! Also using your own name you may not necessarily think it to be the most romantic name you can think of, but you have to remember that you are running a business and a memorable name is more important than the most romantic one you can think of. Of course you have to love it and fabulous if you have memorable and the most romantic, but your number 1 priority is for customers or potential customers to REMEMBER your name so it needs to be different from everyone else's.

I also always remember your name by Alice in Wonderland, so why not something like Alice's Romantic Wonderland or Alice's Vintage Wonderland. Maybe possibly not the MOST romantic names you could think of, but memborable for sure and that's important.

Vickie...

Vickie ~ Mademoiselle*Rose said...

Hi Alice

I've only just discovered blogs in the last month. It sure is fun reading them. This is my first comment on a blog and I thought I'd put my two cents worth in!

It seems that no matter what you come up with someone else will think it's great and make a variation. Before you know it you can't tell one from another. I know I have trouble with sites with shabby, rose and vintage. I quite often see things I'd like to buy and I can't remember the name bec they all blend into one and I have trouble distinguishing them.

A previous post talked about your name and I'd agree that if you use your name then at least 95 percent of people won't copy it! Also using your own name you may not necessarily think it to be the most romantic name you can think of, but you have to remember that you are running a business and a memorable name is more important than the most romantic one you can think of. Of course you have to love it and fabulous if you have memorable and the most romantic, but your number 1 priority is for customers or potential customers to REMEMBER your name so it needs to be different from everyone else's.

I also always remember your name by Alice in Wonderland, so why not something like Alice's Romantic Wonderland or Alice's Vintage Wonderland. Maybe possibly not the MOST romantic names you could think of, but memborable for sure and that's important.

Vickie...

Alice W. said...

Vicki thank you so much for your advice!!! My husband and I have been talking about this for sometime and he and I both agree about putting my name back in. Even though when I was little I hated it because it was so "old fashioned"...it has grown on me over the years! Thanks so much for your help!

Jen ~ ARTful Dreamer said...

Alice, choosing a name is likely the most difficult decision to make because it is the "first impression" you give someone. Really, it can mean the difference of someone clicking on a link or not.

My experience has been this: A few years back I created and ran an infertility e-mag called The Baby Chase. I thought it was quite clever and original until I learned there was a book by the same name. I also wrote a book about my personal struggle with infertility and at first planned to call it "Infertility Survivors" - again thinking it was quite clever and original only to learn that some small organization 5 years previous had run a charity event using the name infertility survivors. We all love to imagine we are the only ones to think of a name or title, but in reality, chances are someone somewhere has had the same thought or a slight variation on it before the lightbulb went off in our own head.

I don't think you should focus so much on being original - although you obviously don't want to have such a general name you are lost in the crowd - but focus on finding a name that suites you and will suite you 5 years from now. Words really do convey feelings and if your name fits your personality as well as your products, customers will remember you & your store.

ARTful Dreamer appears often when you do a search...it's not too original. But it fits me because I began using it when I was doing infertility support & education {ART is a play on words} and I am a huge dreamer....I still daydream a lot. Once my customers come to know my style and my personality - they "see" me as an artful dreamer. It's not just a name for my store but an expression of who I am.

Focus your choices on words that really have significance to you on a deeper level and you will love your new name for years & years to come :~)

I have visted you in the past and always enjoy the beautiful images you have. You have a lovely blog and store Alice. Good luck on your decision!!! {My apologies for the short novel I have just written LOL}

miss gracie's house said...

Oh the indecision of it all! I always agonize over all of these details, too. I agree with the others-alice in wonderland is very unique. I also really like the romantic vignettes-they are really what caught my eye and made me come back.
GL
rene'

Pear Street Studios said...

Well personally, I liked the name Looking Glass Studio.. I think because it was so unique it really stuck out in my mind. I think there are way too many names that use the word rose, cottage, boutique,antique, victoria, etc. All of these shops blend together in my mind and I can't usually remember one from the other. I think uniqueness is the key. Think of something NOBODY else has, if possible...then YOU will be remembered and that is SO important in business. :)
Good luck with anything you choose. You have a lovely business and I know it will do well with whatever your name is :)

Jenn and Jacqui said...

Hi Alice, we happened upon your Blog via our dear friend Natasha. You have a gorgeous Blog and it was a pleaure to visit you. We think you should be called Alice in Wonderland, your vignettes are so stunning! Happy New Year! Jenn and Jacqui

Heather ~ Pretty Petals said...

Hi Alice! Hope you had a nice Christmas and wishing you a Happy New Year!!!!

I know how you feel...I used to be Pretty Linens when I was on Ebay and wanted to keep the Pretty so I went to Pretty Petals to keep it similar. I would love to change it to something else too but don't know what!! I don't know if I would have the guts to do it now!

anyway... I really loved your old name you had and as Natasha said I still think of you as that!! Lol I do love the idea of using your name... something that makes you stand out. There are so many shops that just blend into each other I think. I know that whatever you choose it will be just gorgeous! You have so so much talent!

by the way, was driving down the road the other day thinking of your pink coffee table! lol... I kept forgetting to tell you how absolutly amazing it is!! Is it the original chippy paint?? Isn't that funny how our fellow bloggers become a part of our daily thoughts just like we know each other in real life?? lol

Sorry for the huge post!!! xoxo Heather

Heather ~ Pretty Petals said...

OH I just read Jenn and Jacquis post about Alice in Wonderland!!! What a fabulous name that would be or some variation of it!!!