Be sure to update...

This is no longer an active blog.

Please visit me now at Thoughts from Alice W.

Hope you will stop by for a visit!
~Alice W.

Wednesday, January 30, 2008

French at Heart...

Ever since the first time I read Madeline as a little girl, I dreamed of living in France. I was enamoured by the language, history and sheer beauty of the country. This love has continued throughout my life and grew immensly during the four years of high school that I studied the language. Although, I have never been to the country...I know I love it. And even though my initial love began in Paris...once I learned about the charming Provence...my love moved southward. What I wouldn't give to move to the French country...


At this point in my life, since moving across the ocean and settling into a country I have never been to, is not in the cards, I am hoping to incorporate my love for the Provencial way of life into my small townhouse here in Western, New York. I have gathered a collection of photos from some of my favorite websites featuring the "antique French" look I am attempting to achieve in my own home. The look is one of aged elegance and beauty. I envision a creamy palette of whites, punctuated with antique crystal chandeliers, cane back chairs, weathered garden urns & statues, layers of vintage linens, down filled pillows & cushions and chippy wood furnishings. The following photos are just a sample that are serving to inspire me on this journey...


From Bountiful:
(Where Rachel Ashwell herself loves to shop! Lots of lovely eye candy on this site if you can't make the trip):
From Pom Pom Interiors (I discovered this site in the recent issue of Romantic Country):
The Curious Sofa is such a fabulous site to visit...I would desperately love to go visit their store! And they have a gorgeous website design!
Not sure where I found this image of a an antique sofa illustration, but I love it! I have plans to frame several similar illustrations and put them in my living room and dining room.
I found this sofa and chair set for sale at Beekeeper's Cottage while perusing for antique seating:
Some fabulous French Toile wallpapers...I love unusual or different toile patterns in muted shades:
I hope you enjoyed my little collection of inspiration from around the web. Some other sources that are inspiring me include Tongue in Cheek...a blog by an American woman (Corey Amaro) who has made her home in France (and it is to die for!) and Kristen Espinasse's blog & book French Word A Day.

7 comments:

Antique Paperie said...

Oh Alice - everything is beautiful! The photos are breathtaking - and I do agree with you about Provence. Forget Blondes, I think Europeans have more fun, don't they? I'm Irish - it's a darker culture than the Euro's - We don't have as much fun as they do over there. Wouldn't it be wonderful to get away for a month and visit all of the French Countryside, the Sites, Gift Shops, and Art - I hope you can go. I hope I can go! heehe :)

I just adore the new Painted White - it fits you perfectly, and it shows us who you are. I adore it all - Wonderful Posts, just wonderful! hugs dearest - xo Sher

Crossroads Cottage said...

Beautiful photos, Alice. I especially love all of the chipped urns. The entryway in my home is french themed and full of photos from my trip to Paris 5 years ago. I didn't get to the French countryside but Paris is beautiful and romantic. And despite what some say, the locals were all very friendly and helpful despite me not knowing a word of the language. I do hope that you get to go someday. You'd fall in love with it and not want to leave - ever. :)

Natasha Burns said...

Love the pics Alice! I've heard about Bountiful, it sounds great.
I love the new website and new graphics, you are so talented!!!

claudia said...

Alice, What a lovely post and pictures, and so french romantic. Just so beautiful!... and it's fun to daydream ! Thanks so much for visiting me and the add, .. and for your wonderfully heartfelt, kind and generous comments. I apppreciate it so much . And what a precious puppy Renoir you have ! Love and cherish him each and everyday! I'll stay in touch about all... Blessings to you Alice, ... claudia

Sherry said...

Oh Alice, be still my heart!!! I could have written this -- were we separated at birth?!?!?

Thank you for the photographs and the links -- I know how I will be spending my weekend!!!

Merci beaucoup!!

Counting Your Blessings said...

Let's just move there, ok?! Sure, we might miss the loved ones, the little ones and the peeing puppies but for just a while wouldn't it be so amazing?! Oh, I'm so with you on this one! Blessings... Polly (p.s. I even took pictures yesterday of all the cardboard Madelines lined up along the wall at the elementary school)

Ann said...

Oh My Gosh Alice!!!! I just stumbled across your blog by linking to it from your comment at Bella Pink Cafe and I feel as though I have drifted off to a wonderful place in time! What is this beautiful music!!!??? You have the most beautiful blog I've seen...Already added to my favorites... Thank you for sharing such beautiful photos and music...Happy Saturday, Ann