Be sure to update...

This is no longer an active blog.

Please visit me now at Thoughts from Alice W.

Hope you will stop by for a visit!
~Alice W.

Monday, February 4, 2008

A Book Spree...and more...

I have always loved books. Ever since I was a little girl and my mom would read to me my favorite Tales of Beatrix Potter (which I still have and love!). I have always loved decorating books as well and anything relating to royalty.
A couple of weeks ago I decided to go on a "book shopping spree" of sorts and bought tons of inspiration for my home!

The book shopping spree actually started with my obsession for Marie Antoinette...for which I bought the following...
This one has lovely photographs and really gives you a glimpse into her beautiful world:
Other inspiration for my life and home, lately, has been American's moving to France. I wish, at times, that I could be so bold, but I know I would miss my family far too much to move to another continent...so I shall live vicariously through these brave folks:
Oh and...Matisse is one of my favorite authors, so I was thrilled to find James Morgan's book relating to two of my loves...art and Provence!

Several months ago, I watched a PBS special on the wives of Henry VIII, so when I recently found this book by Antonia Fraser, I knew I wanted to read it!
These should keep me busy for quite sometime! (Oh and I purchased all of these on Amazon.com...it's so great because you can find the best price and buy used if you want to save money!)


Last week, I told Josh, that I wanted to completely redecorate our home (nothing new!), so we decided to switch things up and flip our dining room and living room. I thought I would show you the work in process....and some of my favorite things, while I had the camera out...
Antique dresser that we purchased at a fleamarket for $40, vintage tarnished silverplate tray and footed pitcher...and my favorite find ever...a gold cherub lamp that I got for $1.00 at a church sale!
I love the details on old tarnished silver...
I have a pair of these porcelain lamps that remind me of Marie Antoinettes life...
Lots of pretty things waiting to find a new home...
Even though all of these things were put here for convenient's sake while we rearrange...I thought they looked beautiful...

9 comments:

NAME: CIELO said...

Hi pretty Alice.... even stacking books is an art in you; every photograph a delight to see....

I love your roses, your vintage tarnished silver plate tray and your footed pitcher... every single arrangement is just charming; you are so creative and beauty flows from you. I’m putting together some photos for your “Vignette of the month”; as soon as I can put some words together I will send them your way.

Have a restful evening

Antique Paperie said...

Gorgeous! Stunning Photos - I am going to have to purchase from Amazon soon and do a Book post myself - The last book I bought was Monet - A Life in Art.

I just love this post - xo Sher

Sea Dream Studio said...

Hi Alice~ Your website looks wonderful!! And your blog... well, it is enchanting! Thanks for stopping by my shop!!
hugs~Dale

Alice said...

Thanks for visiting my blog the other day. I'm so happy to have found yours--so beautiful. It's very popular today to pare down our "stuff" but isn't it nice to be surrounded by things that make us happy, that spark a creative thought or that help recall a memory.

fairmaiden said...

O my, Alice...I love all the ~french~influence of your past 3 posts. I am going to have to look for those Marie Antoinette books. My girls and I loved the movie so much that we went several times to see it in the theatre. And of course bought it on DVD the day it came out! Just this past December we had a *Marie Antoinette* themed sweet sixteen birthday party for my oldest daughter. It was so fun. It was intended to be dress-up on gowns and gloves, fancy, fun, casual, rather than elegant and stiff...but it is difficult to get teenage boys & girls to do such, so they ended up dressing in short lacey dresses and boys in button up shirts,some wore ties. I think we will have to do it again when she is in her 20's and go all out.

I also loved seeing your honeymoon pics and reading about it. What a romantic place you stayed in. You are a lovely couple!

I did a little advertizing on my blog for your new ~Painted White~ blogshop.

Amy-Razz Pizazz Boutique said...

oh my! I just visited your new website! Just amazing, a feast for the eyes with beauty in every corner! I will be shopping, can't wait to see more!! I have my eye on those fluer di lis magnets :)
blessings,
Amy

Vintage Tea said...

Great books, thanks for sharing! I have many Marie Antoinette books on my Amazon wish list and just finished a great one by Antonia Fraser, she makes history so much easier to understand to me!

Happy Reading!

Victoria

Kerryanne English said...

Hi Alice,
What pretty photos.
I hope you enjoy your home make over. I have a sneaky suspicion that you will certainly enjoy the chance to redecorate. What fun!!!
Hugs,
Kerryanne

Signature Vintage said...

I just found your site and blog and will definitely be back!!!! Thanks for a wonderful visit!