Be sure to update...

This is no longer an active blog.

Please visit me now at Thoughts from Alice W.

Hope you will stop by for a visit!
~Alice W.

Saturday, February 2, 2008

Memories of Montreal...

Many of you know that I am married to a wonderful man named Joshua...but since I did not have a blog when we got married, I was never able to share some of our experiences during our first year together. Today, Joshua went out and came home with a wonderful surprise for me...which will need some back up explaining first...

We desperately wanted to go to Paris for our honeymoon (which was during the first week of October in 2006). But since our wedding ending up costing a "wee" bit more than we originally planned...we opted to go somewhere a bit closer to home. We decided to go to Montreal, since it is the closest thing to France that we could get! We live in Rochester, NY so it was only about an 8 hour drive, so we saved a lot of money by taking our own vehicle.

However, we didn't realize until we arrived at our charming B & B, that we completely forgot to pack our camera!!! I was disappointed to say the least. We ended up having to buy three of those throw away cameras to use for the trip. Since that time, these cameras have sat in our junk drawer in the kitchen. One thing Joshua and I are both exactly the same on is our bad habit of procrastinating...we both always think..."we'll do that tomorrow..." and then tomorrow becomes a week...a month...a year and half of marriage together!

But today my lovely husband came home with a delightful surprise...the cd's of our photos!!! Now, they are not the best quality mind you and many did not turn out (or the classic finger in the corner!)...but at least I had a chance to look through and remember the wonderful time we spent together in this beautiful and charming city...

We stayed at a really adorable bed & breakfast...The Jade Blue. Not much to look at on the outside...but the inside was filled with French antiques and gorgeous decor.

We stayed in the "Marie Antoinette" room for the first four nights...I fell in love with the toile pattern of the bedding and curtains.(Above two photos courtesy of the Jade Blue...ours didn't come out!)

I love the ceiling medallion and chandelier in our room too! Everything was in beautiful shades of sage green and ivory.

Our inn was only a couple of blocks from China Town...which was fun to shop in. We both love Chinese food too...so we enjoyed that while we were there!

Glimpses of the City's character...

Our favorite place was Old Montreal...it's filled with cobblestone streets, delightful little shops, cafes, horse drawn carriages and the "charm" I was seeking...

For the most part, the weather cooperated...but we did have one rainy day...we didn't let that ruin our fun though!

We originally only booked to stay four nights at the Jade Blue, but decided on our last day to see if we could stay just one more. Since the Marie Antoinette room was booked, we were able to move down the hall to the stately "Louis XVI" room. This room had a pair of to-die-for chandeliers, lots of gold detailing and HUGE king size bed.(photo courtesy the Jade Blue)

Since I am a sucker for art museums, we of course had to visit the Musée des beaux-arts de Montréal.

And on our last day we went to the Montreal Botanical Garden...which was beautiful even in autumn.

The entrance was all decked out for Halloween...

The Chinese garden was filled with color and liveliness:

And in the Japanese garden, I begged Josh to let me have a Coy fish pond someday (I am still working on this...he usually goes along with my whims but this one...not so much.)

During an evening near the end of our honeymoon, we took a horse drawn carriage ride through Old Montreal. It was truly one of the most romantic experiences of our life. After the ride was over, the driver let us feed our horse and took our picture for us. We both loved how when he finished clicking he said in a very thick French accent..."That will be a very good one, I think." I hope you enjoyed traveling down memory lane with me as I reminisced about Montreal and my lovely honeymoon...

5 comments:

Ann said...

Oh Alice, Your honeymoon looks as though it was magical...the pictures are beautiful and you both look so happy...
please disregard my previous post about the name of your music...i just scrolled to the very end and found the name of the music playing...thank you again for sharing your special time in Montreal...Ann

Antique Paperie said...

BEAUTIFUL!!
What an enchanted life you and Josh lead - your soulmate, your dearest....It was so fun for me to read this post!!! After 13 years of marriage I traveled back to the first years - we were so happy and sweet to each other. Then children came, routine, chaos....haha!!
I love that you and Josh are made for each other. You really glow Alice - everything you do, make for your website, say or post here on your Blog is Luminescent.
You are one of my favorites :)
Thank you for sharing this!!

xoxo Sherri

Kerryanne English said...

Hi Alice,
Thanks for sharing some of your honeymoon photos. The last photo of you and Josh with the horse drawn carriage is magical - you both look so genuinely happy.

I'm glad you finally got around to processing the photos. It would have been sad not to look back on these special memories.
Hugs,
Kerryanne

Sandra@Shabby Rose Cottage said...

How Romantic! I love your new blog and will be adding you to my friends list on my blog and your website turned out beautiful... Happy Valentine's Day to you both. ~Sandra~

Crossroads Cottage said...

Joshua is certainly sweet! It must have been fun reliving all of those memories. I can't imagine how much more fun it will be looking back at the photos when we've both been married for ages! Anyway, thanks for the mini vacation to Montreal - I was just thinking this afternoon that I needed to get away. It was the perfect little break for the evening. :-)