Be sure to update...

This is no longer an active blog.

Please visit me now at Thoughts from Alice W.

Hope you will stop by for a visit!
~Alice W.

Thursday, March 27, 2008

My Easter "Box"...and other gifts...

For as long as I can remember, my mom, an antique dealer and eBay seller (among her many talents) has always saved pretty things to give to me. About half (or more) of the items in my home were given to me, at sometime in my life, by my mother. She knows exactly what I love and always manages to find things to make my heart sing.
When Josh and I got married, he really had no idea what he was getting into...not only did I have all of things I crammed into the place I was living in at the time...but I had a large collection saved at my mom's (in both the house and garage!). Needless to say, there is a never a shortage of "things" here!
A couple of weeks ago, my mom called saying she had more things for me that she bought at various sales and auctions. She also said that her boss had a collection of vintage linens that she no longer wanted and was happy to send them to a loving home. The box in the photo above is what my mom brought me on Easter...what an Easter gift! It was filled, to the brim, with vintage baby clothes, petticoats, linens, table runners, placemats, napkins, embroidered tea towels, vintage jewelry and buttons, stationary...it was like heaven in a box!
Even though I don't have any children (other than Renoir of course! I can hear him "ahem"ing me as I type), I love vintage and antique baby things. They are so precious and charming...that I love to display them throughout my home. I think it was the first vintage baby Christening gown given to me by mother, of course, that got me hooked (you can see it in my very first Romantic Vignettes: Vignette of the Moment feature on my website). Since then, she is always bringing me cute baby things...
I call this little jacket and bonnet "le pièce de résistance." When I pulled it out of the box, I was so thrilled, tears almost came to my eyes! I wish you could feel how soft and delicate this fabric is. And it is so beautifully crafted. The little bonnet is so tiny, it would really only fit on a brand new baby.
I always love the to find the tags in old clothing...they give them such character especially because of the unique and delicate embroidering...
When I do have a baby someday, I know I will sit at home and dress him/her up all day! I can only imagine how many pics I will be posting then...you will be here all day!
I love how long the ribbon ties were on this little bonnet as well as all the details, like these little bows...
This eyelet bonnet is a little bigger (Josh tried it on Renoir and it fit just fine...lol!).
There were lots of pale yellow outfits and bonnets in the box too...which are quite adorable. There was a dress and little shirt with embroidered flowers on them...
Another very tiny little bonnet...
And I loved this tag that read under the company name..."for the very young"... A pretty little yellow dress...
The thing I love best about these little clothes is that someone took the time put such love into each piece...
After looking through all these cute baby clothes, I was reminded of another little outfit that I purchased at a sale last year. I ran up to the closet and pulled it out to enjoy it again...
If I ever have a baby boy, I have plans to display this in his "vintage" blue and yellow nursery.
How adorable are these embroidered puppies...they remind me of Renoir ;)
There were even little baby socks in the box, as well as monogramed linens...which I love! And this little baby undershirt is too cute...
I like to think that the "B" on these linens stands for "Baby"...
"SPS"
OOh and...there were two matching pillowcases with embroidered ladies on them...
I wonder how long it took the embroider to do these...they are quite remarkable!
This pretty doily was still attached to old paper, and I think I shall leave it as is. The old paper has the loveliest soft crinkle sound to it...
And a new favorite piece...
I love ceramic pitchers, and my mom gave me this one. It is the loveliest shade of pale gray...très chic!
My mother also gave me several baskets to use for my art making...but some I like so much, I think I might have to keep them! These ones were placed above our armoir in the living room...
At the very bottom of the box, just when I thought it couldn't get any better, I pulled out this antique petticoat. It has layers underneath and gorgeous detailed trim...there were actually two in the box, but I only had time to photograph this one...
I love crocheted trim!
**********************************************
On Easter, we celebrated by having brunch at my younger sister, Angela's apartment. My grandparents came...and my grandfather, a collector of...well everything, gave me another box of "things" before he headed home. One item he gave me was this large silver tray. I put it on a shelf (that I refer to as our "mantel" even though we don't have a fireplace) in the dining room...
I am so thankful to my grandparents for so many things...but especially that they always think of me to give such wonderful things to (even though I have a ton of cousins!).
**********************************************
After photographing all my new treasures, I was looking through the mail we've received in the last few days (Josh mentioned their was an Anthropolgie catalog...he knows it's my fav!), and I was immediately captivated by the cover. I absolutely adore the vintage "Home Sweet Home" needlepoint...and long to find one of my own someday...
And this lovely bedspread inside...oooh what I wouldn't give to put that on my bed! It looks like a beautiful wedding gown for the bed! I didn't even look at the price...because I know it will inevitably be out of my budget...but a girl can dream...
******************************************
And once again, I am not the only spoiled one around here...Renoir got a new hedgehog friend yesterday at Petco...his favorite place to visit...
I attempted to take a portrait of him with his new little guy...but as you can see...I had a hard time managing to keep him still...
Ah well...he still looks cute! And he loves his new friend!
Till next time...

16 comments:

The Feathered Nest said...

Oh Alice, what a beautiful post!!! I ADORE vintage baby as well and I'm so so glad to know this about you sweetie!!! These little momentos of the past are precious to me and I have a collection of baby dresses myself! These are all so beautiful, I'm so glad for you!!! What a sweet moma, xxoo, Dawn

The Rose Room said...

You are sooooooo lucky, they are precious as is Renoir:) Rachael

A Romantic Porch said...

Alice, How wonderful that you have such a loving and thoughtful mother and grandparents and of course the to die for collection of vintage linen and baby clothes. You're a girl after my own heart. Love,Rachel

claudia said...

Hello Alice my friend ! Stopping by to say hello , hope all is well with you ! Just catching up on my favorite blogs today.. What an amazing treasure trove of beautiful things!..Loved seeing these pics.. How lucky you are!.. and the stories these lovely clothes and things could tell.. I still have some of my 3 boys things tucked away and love to look at them.. Renoir is as cute as ever! Have a blessed day!.. claudia xoxox

Counting Your Blessings said...

I loved, LOVED it all! Your mom sounds so much like my mom. Always finding the things I love the most - and so very giving. Anthropologie? Don't even get me started! I've kept all my old copies because I love them that much. I only own 2 or 3 things from there (because WHO are these people that can afford to shop there all the time???) but I nearly worship that one sweater, two pair of linen pants! So sad! =) Blessings... Polly

Joy at Cupids Charm said...

Hi Alice! What beautiful photos and what a wonderful basket of goodies you got! You know what? I think that "B" stands for "Barkley" and you should just pack everything up and ship it down here to me..uuhm I mean him...here in Florida! LOL. I would not be above dressing Renior in those hats or little tops either. If you think you have a hard time getting him to sit still for a photo, just image trying to do that with him dressed in clothes! Thanks for such a darling post. Have a wonderful weekend! ~ xo ~ Joy J

Sarah said...

What wonderful baby clothes. They are so pretty. Just came across your blog. So pretty!
Sarah
http://vintagelily.typepad.com/my_weblog/

FrenchGardenHouse said...

Alice, what a wonderful post! Full of all the things I love. Treasure boxes full of sweet things, baby clothes so beautiful they make you want to cry, family, dogs, just the best.:)
xo Lidy

Kelly said...

What beautiful treasures! I just adore all those baby clothes, they are so precious. And thanks for the tag, I will post mine tonight, it has been a long week here! In fact this will be my first tag also! Thank you!!!!!!!

Kelly

PS And Renoir still handsome as ever! My puppy is about 12 weeks now, and a HUGE handful :) But we adore her.

Erin~~The Classy Rabbit~~ said...

Hi!

I just found your blog and boy am I glad I did! It's beautiful. I loved looking at the sweet baby clothes and lovely linens. Your creation from Heather is fabulous - she is so talented!! She was my swap partner in a recent swap and she is just the greatest!!

Ooohh - and your finds from Michaels, I just went there myself about 2 weeks ago and fell in love in the Cottage Accents section. I had to have the pale blue box and hooks!! Heather sent me one of the beautiful blue boxes too!

Okay, sorry for the long post but I loved everything on your blog and had to tell you - LOL!

Have a wonderful Sunday.

Hugs,
Erin

miss gracies house said...

I almost missed your post-I was so busy looking at your entry!
What a fun box-it is so great that you share this with your mom. Baby items are soo precious-think of the love that went into making them.
Have a great day!
Rene'

Cindy ~ My Romantic Home said...

Wow, you are lucky! My mom's given me a lot of vintage linens too. I'm really happy that she passed down the love for them. I often wonder if I would even like vintage linens if it weren't for growing up with my mom and grandma collecting them.

Your mom sells on eBay? I wonder if I've ever bought anything from her!

I'm off to check out more of your blog...it looks lovely!

Kerryanne English said...

Alice that was a lovely post. I'm envious of all your lovely vintage linen. Mmmmmm....all that vintage baby wear....is someone getting just a little bit clucky????? look out Renoir, you might find yourself wearing more than a babys bonnett.LOL
Hugs,
Kerryanne

CIELO said...

oh oh... I see a baby in your nearby future... :)

Lovely!

Cielo

Alice W. said...

Kerryanne...you are too funny! I always laugh when I read your comments ;)!

And Cielo...no babies here for a long time!!! Just Renoir...hehe...

Alice's & Angela's MOM said...

Hello my beautiful daughter! It was a lot of fun going to the auction with you and my fav SIL (Son-In-Law)! I loved the postings and references to our relationship, you know you are not just in my heart, you are my heart! You always manage to bring tears to my eyes when I read the loving comments you make about me. We have always and will continue to have many fun filled memories to share! My favorite memory is STILL when I took my beautiful girls to the flea market and offered to buy you brand new dolls but you both wanted the doll that no one wanted, the rough, dirty, matted hair doll, only because you would both give her a good loving home! haha I'll be seeing you soon! LOVE YOU
MOM