Be sure to update...

This is no longer an active blog.

Please visit me now at Thoughts from Alice W.

Hope you will stop by for a visit!
~Alice W.

Tuesday, March 18, 2008

New French Finds...and Inspiration...

Many of you who follow my blog know my love for all things French...and...that my home is currently going under a huge redecorating process for a super French antique look (as opposed to the former cottage/frou frou look, which is now only hinted at...). I have been scouring the internet and stores for anything beautiful and unique to give my home French-inspired charm and recently came across another batch of treasures!

*************************************
The first, I cannot say enough about. When I saw this collage on Flickr that Heather (of Pretty Petals) made...I had to have one! Since Heather and I have known each other for sometime through our online boutiques...I made no hesitation in asking her to create one for me too.

When it arrived...it was like Christmas morning for me. I love everything about Heather...the details she puts into her home and work are evident in everything she touches...so I knew this collage would be amazing. And it was! I didn't even know it would have the little gem at the bottom!!! What a delightful surprise! Even Joshua came home and called it "gorgeous" twice! If a man cannot even deny it's beauty...you know it is! Heather...you are a true talent...and I love everything about you! I am so blessed to have a little "piece of you" here in my home to inspire me everyday!

**************************************

Sunday, I decided to head out to Michael's by myself just to see what I could find...and oh my goodness what a huge mistake that was!!! $165.00 and 8 bags later...I came home to Josh with my sheepish grin...just hoping he wouldn't mind...too much. And of course he didn't. I really did marry la creme de la creme. He lets me open each bag and pull out everything one by one explaining why I love it, how much it cost, where it will look good in our home...and always acts interested. I love this man.
And I love this gorgeous pale powder blue urn...look at the detail...
And who knew that Michael's carries cloches? I had no idea...but allowed myself to only buy one on this trip...the small one at that (but I will be going back for the other sizes...hehe)...

I knew this urn would be prefect in my living room...and it was on sale for only $9.00!

I love anything with crazing...and dark undertones...

Then all of a sudden...I found myself in the "Cottage Accents" aisle and thought I must have died...and now am in Heaven...I wanted EVERYTHING! It was all in shades of pale blue, pale pink and muted pale brown...my favorites! And everything was French-inspired!

I couldn't resist these adorable $3.00 hooks...

Love the ornamental illustrations...
And these ivory and brown pillows...I didn't even know where I would put them...but they have since found a home in our dining room...
And these adorable pale pink stacking boxes are now in my studio! I plan to get more in the blue and ivory...I told Josh it might motivate me to finally clean my studio "if I had pretty things to put eveything in..." He agreed!
And this little blue box...I just pray that Renoir never gets a hold of it!
I also bought two of these little hanging baskets...one in pale pink and pale blue...they have an illustration on one side and vintage postcard on the other...
Note to self: Stay away from Michael's for at least a month! Hehe...although I have already been listing the things I want to go back and get! Ugh...I really am "spoilt" aren't I?


*********************************************
I have been inspired lately by several magazines I have gotten...including the latest issue of Romantic Homes...which is all about french style. Could it get any better? Well, open it and then you will see...it can! I loved this issue so much that I wrote to them again...(I previously had written to them about my disappointment with the direction the mag was going in and they printed my email a few issues back) to tell them how much I am in love with their mag again!

A peak inside...

My absolute favorite decorator, Corey Amaro, has her home featured...

And the garden of Giverny, which inspired my favorite painter, Monet, is also in this issue:

And I cannot wait to create my own vintage French mannequin...thanks to this article by Tara Frey and Heather Bullard:

There was even a little blurb about my current favorite book...

I also recently purchased the new Romantic Country...and found Country Decorating Ideas: Flea Market Style too! A new Country Living just arrived as wll...which has lots of inspirational ideas this month...

This room was one of my favorites in Romantic Country:

As was this kitchen...so pretty and romantic! Check out that island!

I told Josh I want our backyard to look like this:

He looked at me and goes, "Have you seen our backyard?" It is currently a slab of concrete with lots of junk we can't fit in the house and covered in snow...call me a dreamer...

************************************

I was delighted to see Magnolia Pearl (whom I learned of through Polly and who's web design is uh-mazing!!!) in the current Country Living:

And I loved this section about ideas for dolies (I have so many!)...

Well I hope you enjoyed seeing my new goods and current inspiration...till next time...

19 comments:

A Romantic Porch said...

ALICE, You are so amazing. Thank you for sharing your great finds, and your inspiration pages from the magazines.

Vintage Tea said...

You're the 2nd blogger to post about Michaels and I can't tell you how excited I am that i'm visiting the US in 2 weeks and have Michaels on my list of sightseeing spots... is that strange!!

Victoria x

Fabulous Finds Studio said...

Wow, Alice, you hit the jackpot at Michaels! I stroll down that aisle everytime I am there! So glad you have an understanding and supportive husband!

I have all of those mags, too and I saw your letter to Romantic country in the magazine a few months ago :-)

BTW, you've been tagged, please see my blog!
Julie

Natasha Burns said...

Ooh goodness Alice!!! My hubby is so lucky there isn't a Michaels here, and I am so sad, what fabulous goodies and for fabulous prices! I love everything you found and the way you described them - can tell you love them all!!!
Heather's collage is incredible, it sure would be like Christmas!

Heather ~ Pretty Petals said...

Oh Alice!! I have BEEN to Michaels too girl!!! l was thinking those little boxes they have there are wonderful for the junque in my trunk swap..don't you think? I bought the exact ones you did! lol

I am so happy you loved your collage. :)))))) I am also blessed to know you and enjoy your blog and shop so so much.

How beautiful those magazines are! I love the French issue of Romantic Homes, it is just beautiful.

xoxoxo heather

Vintage Rose Collection said...

Hi Alice!!!
Too cute, I bought the same exact items at Michaels, love that store dont you!

I absolutey love this post doll...So inspiring.. I saw your new website and it is now my favorite...You have a great eye for photography, and I love the simplicity of it all... Its perfect...
Jo
xo

Angie(quillysilly) said...

What a great treasure hunt you had! Isn't it fabulous when you find it all in one place!!! And the icing on the cake is someone who loves it all with you!! Lucky you!! toodles....Angie

Sarah said...

Pretty Pretty Pretty! I got the shadow box from Michaels with the pretty damask paper but I did not see those glass globe covers. Yummy!
Sarah
http://vintagelily.typepad.com/

Holly (Nickname) said...

Hi Alice~
I love michaels too and saw almost all of the items you show on your blog. I went nuts it the cottage isle this past weekend, but I was good and resisted...
NOW i am thinking of going back...Your blog and ix are amazing and I plan to visit again. I found you on flickr. My name there is " oh so very...". I also have a blog...
wwwwhisperingoakscottage.blogspot.com
Come visit when you have time!
xxxooo Ruth

Signature Vintage said...

Oh, I am in love with the Cottage Accents stuff at Micheal's!!! It's on sale here at a super bargain! Love the post!

The Feathered Nest said...

Alice, this post is chock FULL of eye candy beautiful GOODNESS!!! I knew, knew you would love those boxes....I thought, hmmm, I wonder if I should go and buy one of those beautiful boxes I saw at Michael's the other day for Alice's goodie box....glad I didn't!! Mine will be customized for you sweetie! The collage that you bought from Heather looks so very you ~ she's incredibly talented and I just love everything that she touches. I hope you're having a wonderful first day of spring!! xxoo, Dawn

CIELO said...

Ahhhhhhh, your house is looking gorgeous! Love everything I see here!

Happy Easter to you and yours, sweet Alice...

Cielo

Shabby Rose Cottage said...

Alice, I found myself in the same aisles in Michaels a few weeks back and bought a few sets of those gorgeous fabric boxes for my work area, a cloche and a couple of the small paper boxes in blue and pink. It is a good thing we don't all live in the same area or there wouldn't be enough for all of us. LOL I always love coming here for a visit.

hopetreestudio said...

Hi what a pretty place. Denise

Holly (Nickname) said...

Hi Alice~
would love to see a picture of your stripes...sounds really pretty, and soft.
xxxooo Ruth

Jean said...

You made out like a bandit at Michael's!

Tracie said...

Okay, Alice~
I'm making it a point to visit here as inspirational point of beauty before my power walk, Zeke walk and just positive place to go to start my day...

I'll get up 15 minutes early to do it too ;)
xoxo~Tracie

Counting Your Blessings said...

Oh my - I said the same thing about that backyard! In fact, I'm still secretly thinking of how I could make it work. Though, my space is also tiny and full of storage. But I'm determined =) Blessings... Polly

Ali ~ Betty & Violet said...

Oh my goodness what a lovely inspiring post! I am in England and have never even heard of Michaels, but I just know I have to get there somehow!

I can't wait for Romantic Homes to drop through my door...it looks a lovely issue.

Can't wait to see some photos of your home transformations!