Be sure to update...

This is no longer an active blog.

Please visit me now at Thoughts from Alice W.

Hope you will stop by for a visit!
~Alice W.

Saturday, March 8, 2008

New Friends and New Creations...

I have been so blessed to meet so many wonderful women through my blog and website. I have come to appreciate so many of you out there who's faces I have never even seen (except in photos) and who's voices I have never heard (except through words written).
A recent friendship formed is with Heather Wombacher of the online shop The Patchwork Heart, Co. Heather and I actually connected a little over a month ago when we exchanged web links, and when she asked me to do a "blog interview exchange." She interviewed me sometime ago with some pretty insightful and thoughtful questions.

When it came my turn to interview her, I was suddendly in the throes of life and had one thing after another to do! She was extremely patient and understand during this time...which made me know she was a true friend! But alas...things have simmered down...and now it is time that I would like to introduce the lovely Heather and share some of her products with you...

A little bit about Heather (in her own words):

"I live in the beautiful Pacific Northwest along with my fabulous husband David and our 4 kids. We are city dwellers with hearts that long for a country mile. So, we have 8 hens and a garden where I grow lots of lavender. I am a full time wife and mom and I love all of it. I also write part time for a wonderful publication marketed to girls ages 10-18 called The Girlhood Home Companion. It has the feel of the older Victoria magazines! My first priority is homeschooling our three youngest children which is a total blast and our oldest is at George Fox University in Oregon."

Sounds like such a lovely life Heather leads, doesn't it?? I can almost smell the lavender from here...mmm...

One thing that immediately struck me about Heather, was her ability to take the hardships of life and turn them into something wonderful...I think you too will be inspired by the story of how Heather's business got started:

"Sometimes it is important to look and see where you have been so that you can keep moving forward. I don’t know if this has happened to you or not, but we were in a very different situation in the beginning from where we are at today. I am here to tell you that my life is a testimony to the Lord. In the early years (can anyone say honeymoon baby?)our oldest son was born with 2 congenital heart defects. Boy, this was an unexpected twist and turn of events.

In many ways we were not equipped to carry this load by ourselves. I was in the hospital with Jacob after his first surgery for three weeks. He was six days old. As new parents this was crushing. Unequipped! The first year of Jacob’s life was beyond exhausting, it was newborn stage times 10! Adjusting to a high needs child, medications, special feedings, all the while one more surgery looming within the year. This took its toll on me and depression clawed its way in. I felt as though I had been forgotten by my Maker. But, I was a mother I had to get it together and still function others were counting on me right? So out of desperation I started to create. I say all this to set the stage, I started my business out of desperation.

Somewhere deep inside me the Lord lit the pilot light of my heart and then turned on the gas. I had always been creative but some how I had forgotten. At a time when I was so lost, this some how allowed a new space for the real deep parts of who I was to blossom forth. And then desire ignited into the hot blue flame of creativity.

With new inspirations from the Lord, I cleared an area in the attic. I bought an old antique 1940’s Singer, with two stitches, front and back, at a garage sale. Then, as God patched Jacob’s heart with a miracle, He also patched mine with His merciful healing hand. With the guidance of God’s gentle hands I have been creating with my hands and heart ever since. That is why we are called The Patchwork Heart, Co. I love telling this story because this is the ending piece of my testimony, my own transformation! And the beginning of what is now my business, isn’t God so amazing?"


Isn't that such an awe-inspiring story!!!

A little about what you will find at The Patchwork Heart, Co. (as shown in the photos here):
"My tag line is “Lovingly Handmade gifts and accessories with vintage tradition and whimsical charm.” I love fabric and ribbon and carry a wide range of rose and flower pins, specialty lavender sachets, vintage reproduction sewing tools, project kits for girls of all ages and I also have one of a kind pieces for sale too!"

One thing that I find extremely important when it comes to business is the philosophy that business owners run their company behind. I have had quite a few dealings with some very unprofessional and unfriendly business owners in the past, so I like to know where people stand. When I asked Heather about her own business philosophy she said,

"I love what I am doing and hopefully that shows in the details. I try and deliver attentive customer service with high quality handmade items, and offer them in a timely manner to those who appreciate the uniqueness of handmade items."

And her super sweet personality can't hurt!


Another thing I love to know about other business owners, is what inspires them...and where their creativity comes from. Heather told me,

"I love going to flea markets and second hand shops and digging! I love all things French and have a special place in my heart for anything that sparkles with glitter-it reminds me of sweet sugar. I love texture, fibers, embellishments, classic patterns and FLOWERS! I am also inspired by the old and the sentimental. I love recycling and taking something old and then creating it into something new- that to me is really fun! I recently discovered that you really can decoupage paper to fabric- I mean, who knew?!"
My last question from my interview with Heather was about her hobbies and interests, besides her business, to which she said,

"I love old literature and reading, a trip to the library is like shopping to me-love it! I enjoy weeding my garden at evening dusk when the light starts to glow and watch my children run themselves breathless. I can’t go very long without breathing sea salted air, I collect heart rocks and blue beach glass, I love coffee in the morning and tea at night. I love taking walks with my husband and looking at old pictures with him. I hope you will come for a visit at http://www.thepatchworkheart.com/ and let me know you stopped by. Thanks again Alice you are a dear one!"

I hope you all enjoyed getting to know Heather more...and by all means...get yourself over to The Patchwork Heart, Co. asap!!! You are sure to enjoy your visit!


Another new blogging friend that I made was Kelly from Serenity Cottage. She recently purchased a design from me to update the look of her blog. I hope you all get the chance to check out my latest addition to my portfolio, and read Kelly's inspiring and heart warming blog while you are there! She is a super sweet lady that you are sure to love!

******************************************

While I have been busy making new friends, I have also been busy brushing up on my painting and paper crafts. I haven't been able to create in such a long time due to moving and decorating...and well...life basically. But it was so refreshing to sit down with paint brush in hand and go to work. This was the first painting...in honor of spring...which I am desperate for! (We are currently getting hit with about 14" of snow!)
This painting on canvas of a Robin's nest, filled with eggs, was done on vintage sheet music. I covered the edges with Spanish moss and vintage trim.
And getting back into the "shabby chic" mood, I created this "Sweet Treat" cupcake collage out of paper. It was done on a canvas panel and embellished with lace and a tiny rose.
And I of course had to add shimmery pink glitter!
Hopefully, I will have many more paintings and paper goods to offer in the near future. Now that I am in the swing of things, I think it will be hard to pull me out of my studio!

13 comments:

Natasha Burns said...

Oh goodness Alice! Look at that beautiful nest painting and that cupcake!!! I love your newest creations!
Thanks for the info on Heather, her items are beautiful!

Scrappy Jessi said...

what a great interview!!
your paintings are gorgeous!!!
such a talent!
oxox,
jessi

Alisa said...

I am so happy I found your site. I just love everything about it!

CIELO said...

your newest creations are lovely.... as usual...

hope you are having a nice day

cielo

Vintage Rose Collection said...

Hi Alice,
Beautiful designs, as everything you do my sweet friend :)
Wishing you a blissful Sunday!
Jo-Anne
xo

Musing of a Patched Heart said...

Nice job Alice! You are so sweet I love how you put it all together! The interview turned out wonderfully Thanks for doing this with me! God Bless you dear one!Heather W.

Jen ~ ARTful Dreamer said...

Wonderful interview Alice. It is so nice to see the personal side of others and know what inspires them to create.

Sharon said...

Hi! I came over from Kelly's blog! You have a very lovely blog and you made her blog so pretty!

Have a great day!

Sharon

Alice said...

So happy to meet your friend Heather and read her inspiring story. Thank you!

Counting Your Blessings said...

Wow - look at you go! I ADORE that nest painting! I'll have to tell you a story sometime about a lady friend that painted a nest for me before she died. Anyhow.. I'm so glad that you introduced us to Heather. I can't wait to go see her blog. Have a wonderful Monday. Blessings... Polly

Kelly said...

What a great interview! You do such great work in the studio also!

Kelly

ps I have received soooo many compliments on my blog! THANK YOU!!!

Laura said...

Heather is a treasure who posts beautiful musings on her blog and makes precious creations. The two of you make a great pair as your romantic artwork is fresh as spring itself!

Ele at abitofpinkheaven said...

Beautiful...everything is beautifil. So glad to meet you and will continue to visit.