Be sure to update...

This is no longer an active blog.

Please visit me now at Thoughts from Alice W.

Hope you will stop by for a visit!
~Alice W.

Thursday, April 10, 2008

I am loved...and am Loving Me...

So, after my last post, I really didn't expect much. But...I guess God really does know exactly what I need. I woke up the next morning, after going to sleep with a heavy heart and anxiety in my chest, to so many words of encouragement. For you ladies, who took the time from your own busy lives, to bless me with your words of kindness, wisdom and encouragement...I thank you. I thank you from the very bottom of my heart. You really have no idea how much it meant to me...and just know...your reward will be great in Heaven!
I received a lot of advice on enjoying the outdoors, doing the things I love, and most of all, putting some "me" time into my days. So guess what? I did just that! I actually took a nap during the day yesterday...which I hardly ever do...but it was so nice to just rest in my comfortable bed with the window open and an unusually warm breeze floating in. The birds were singing outside, and the sun was shining so pleasantly. Renoir was by my side, and the only disturbance that came my way, was him barking when someone walked by...can't live without that I suppose!

When Josh came home, the three of us went for a long walk and enjoyed the warm weather and God's earth together...it was so peaceful and just what I needed. Because of all of these things, I have been spurned on to implement some changes to my personal life and business.

One of my first goals, is to take off from conducting business related work on the weekends and Wednesdays (including answering/sending emails, creating/installing website designs, etc.) from this point forward. I have also decided to only conduct business on week days from 10am to 7pm (Eastern time). For my customers, whose patronage I value so much, feel free to read more about my updated business policies here, as well as here.

Another change that I am bringing to my shop, is that I have decided to take a break from custom website/graphic design work for the indefinite future. From this point forward, I will only be offering premade designs. This is a personal decision that will make a big difference in how I feel about my business and life. Custom work is very time consuming and not really "my thing"...so it will undoubtedly be an uplifting change. I know that it may disappoint some of my visitors, and I do apologize for that...but it is really something that I need to do right now.
Since I work from home, it is so easy to get caught up in "working" all the time...which has left me feeling burnt out and sad, from missing time with Josh, Renoir, and the rest of my family and friends...not to mention missing doing things I just plain enjoy! I have been spending more time painting lately, which I have neglected for quite awhile. Look for shabby chic, French and Marie Antoinette inspired paintings to be coming soon to the shop! I can't wait to show you what I have been up to! And now I have so many ideas swirling in my brain...I can't wait to put them on canvas! Here is a sneak peek:
For all of you who have given me encouragement, love and prayers along the way...thank you! And most importantly, thank you for helping me to remember that I need to love me too!
(all of the photos in this post are from my studio...still in the process of getting it all together...but thought I would show off the progress so far! Enjoy!)

16 comments:

Tracie said...

Alice,
Congratulations to you recognizing this at such a young age. Your hours sound just right and after reading this post, I may just take up those same hours, Pacific Time though. I love the idea of a break in the middle of the week. It is so hard working from home sometimes shutting things off, it's so hard to say alright it's 5:00 time to go home...
I found myself still working tonight at 8:30 and after reading this post, I have truly taken it to heart - thank you!
I do look forward to your Marie Antoinette inspired pieces.
Glad you enjoyed your nap with Renoir.
Again, so good for you!
Blessings sweets,
~Tracie

Reflections from the Stone Nest said...

Your sneak peek of the painting is lovely. Can't wait to see what you do. Glad you are feeling better. It's amazing what a little "Me time" can do for us...
Kitty

Heather ~ Pretty Petals said...

Alice... wow... what great ideas you have about your business time. I seriously need to take some of the advice you have taken as well! Your painting is just gorgeous! You are SO multitalented and inspiring to me!

xoxo heather

Fabulous Finds Studio said...

Alice, I really enjoyed reading all of the encouraging posts that were left for you (I feel like I needed them , too!). I'm glad you made the decision to take some time off each week for yourself and your family, it's so hard to do that when one is self-employed, I think everyone will benefit from it!

TTYS!
Julie

Counting Your Blessings said...

You're right! Those of us who work from home tend to work 24/7. One day about a month ago my 17 year old cried (mostly hormones but a few frustrations were nagging at him). He said, "Mom, you're at that computer ALL DAY!". I reminded him that this is my job now but I've made a point since then to be done when the kids get out of school. You're smart to take Wednesdays too! I'm proud of you. Blessings.. Polly

CIELO said...

I’m so sorry to hear you were not feeling well, and at the same time glad you are feeling better…
Everybody today seems to be in such a terrible rush; anxious for greater
developments and so on, but you have taken the right path: rest, harmony with yourself and peace.

Wishing you the best in your endeavors…

Cielo

Kelly said...

For sure take those weekends off!! And your premade graphics etc are perfect!!! They are yours from the heart and I agree that sitting and doing the design someone else wants may not feel from the heart as much as your own. Your painting is beautiful and I look forward to seeing all your others....remember always take time for you!!!!
Blessings & Hugs!!!
Kelly

Lori @ Katies Rose Cottage said...

Alice ~
Your last two posts have me thinking again on how we do work so hard and long when we are building a business and work from home ~
I was thinking, when I was at a Christian Women's conference a couple of weekends ago, about how really all that matters in life is my relationship with God and my relationship with my family ~ I am really missing out on some very special times when I work from sun up until sun down ~
You have made a wonderful decision to take time off ~ Pray that you will be able to keep to your schedule and I know the Lord will guide you and keep you on that path ~
Lots of hugs Alice !!!
Lori

GEORGIA said...

Alice,
Thank you for visiting my blog! I love coming to yours where I find a sense of the peace you are looking so hard to find.
I remember my 20's...it was a time of searching, questioning and yes, feeling a little uneasy about myself and where I was going in life! You are not alone in your feelings and I guess that can become a source of understanding. My 30's, I remember as a time of continual seeking but also a time when I began to FIND the inner peace I had been struggling to see for so long. You will get there, sweet Alice, lean on friends, cling to the Lord, and cast your worries upon Him!!
I love that you have restructured your responsibilities...this shows the beginning of wisdom!
Wishing you many blessings and sending warm hugs!
Georgia
Grandma G's

Jen ~ ARTful Dreamer said...

I think your plan sounds wonderful and is exactly what you need Alice. Don't be put asunder by your feelings. At certain points in your life, you will come to these moments and these crossroads that force you to evaluate where you have been, where you are and where you wish to be. It is very easy to get caught up in an endless time schedule and endless work day...so definitely take time for you and the things you love. Then what you create will be of a joyous spirit rather than a broken or hurried one. Have a wonderful weekend!

Natasha Burns said...

Hi Alice,
It looks and sounds like you have it all worked out and that is great for you. I'm glad you've made those decisions to make your load feel lighter and so you can enjoy family time now. I can't wait to see your gorgeous work! I hear you on the custom work, it is definitely a lot more work because you also put extra pressure on yourself to make sure it is right for the customer. Wheras if it is something you've designed, it is as it is and how you want it to be.
Take care and enjoy your boys (love that name Renoir!!!) xo

Penny @ Lavender Hill Studio said...

Alice it sounds like you have made some wonderful decisions! I too work from home. I work all of the time too. My husband also works from home. We have to force ourselves to walk away from work and into real life...
Hugs,
Penny

mylulus said...

Good for you, I think your making some wise decesions! Im going through similar issues and trying to simplify as well for the sake of my little guy,
hugs,
Sandy

Counting Your Blessings said...

p.s. The verse on your sidebar.. You'll be blessed! =)

KimberlyRyanDesigns said...

Alice, as always your posts are so lovley and pure bliss...... I know what you mean about business overtaking you, many times a week I feel like deleting my blog and website. I always ask myself. Whats the purpose" especially if it takes away from my family. So I will keep rethinking all of this as well and keep family first. It's not easy. Just when I'm down and I have only a few comments while others have tons each post, then sweet, lovely friends such as yourself and some others come for a visit! Thanks sweetie you made my day! Hugs, Kimberly

Crossroads Cottage said...

Congrats on setting aside some days for personal and family time. Like you, I sometimes find myself overwhelmed and always working. It's nice to take a step back and allow yourself some "me" time. Hope your new 'hours of operation' bring some joy and rejuvenation back to your life. (And I agree about another of your posts - afternoon naps (especially in the spring) are pure decadence! :-)