Be sure to update...

This is no longer an active blog.

Please visit me now at Thoughts from Alice W.

Hope you will stop by for a visit!
~Alice W.

Saturday, April 12, 2008

Pleasure in the Small Things...

A couple of weeks ago, my mother asked me to go to an auction with her that was about an hour or so away. She goes quite regularly, but this was my first time joining her. I tried to show restraint with my purchases (haha!), but did manage to find a few small things...
Like a small bag full of antique cabinet photos, mostly of babies and children. I love these! I love the expressions, the outfits, and the details of the cards themselves...
Meet Jennie at 6 months old...what a serious face!
I love when I find writing on the back like this one had. She was 6 months old at the time of the above photo...I wonder what kind of life she lead...
A small photo with nothing on the back...who was this woman? What was her life like...oh so long ago?
These were in a box lot that my mother purchased (and sadly forgot on the bench in front of us, but thankfully, I pulled these out before we left!). Not sure what I will do with them...I just found them charming...
And in a small box lot of china that I bid on and won were two bowls with my favorite pattern!
I love the pale blue and gold on the sides...
These Victorian die-cut cards were in the bag of photos...quite a wonderful surprise!
"God's Blessing upon you"....
"May true friends be around you"...
I also happened to win a vintage set of gold nesting tables, some jewelry in an old display case, and ended up purchasing another large white pitcher, to add to the collection. I haven't been able to photograph a lot lately, due to the dreary whether outside (I prefer sunlight to turning the flash on), so photos of my other acquirements will have to come later.
*************************************************
While perusing Etsy the other day, I happened upon this stunning pair of earrings, of which the title, first captured my eye ("Those Snooty Fae" as they were called), and I had to have them!
I have already worn them out once and am so in love with them!
If you enjoy this type of jewelry, do visit Persephone: Everyday Goddess Wear on Etsy. The creator of these is an amazing talent. During our correspondence, after my purchase, I found out that she lives only about 45 minutes away from me. What a small world! *************************************************
While photographing my "Junque in My Trunk" box for Dawn, of The-Feathered-Nest (photos coming soon!), I found these vintage mother-of-pearl buttons lying around and thought they were so lovely, they deserved to be photographed too...
There really is pleasure in small things...if you stop and take notice...many times, though, I forget...
But today...I noticed! Progress...
*************************************************
And of course, I don't think I can go a day without photographing my little Renoir. He brings the greatest pleasure and joy to my life....
I created a little "canopy" bed for him here to enjoy...which I think he did ;).
So today, notice the small things...sometimes, when you least expect it, they can bring the greatest joy.

23 comments:

The Feathered Nest said...

Good morning sweet Alice! Everything you found at the auction is absolutely beautiful!! Such treasures, and you are so very right, there is beauty in the tiniest details. I will be mailing out your parcel tomorrow!! I do hope that you like everything....your little pup is the sweetest thing ~ all draped in sheer lace curtains ~ xxoo, Dawn

Vintage Rose Collection said...

Happy Sunday Alice!
You really found some great things at auction! I use to go all the time, its great fun!
I think your mystery find would make great frames... There're fabulous!!!
Wishing you a beautiful week!
Jo-Anne

Beth Leintz said...

Oh your blog is so soothingly pretty with all mother of pearl and old photos- wha a joy!

fairmaiden said...

I have not been by to visit for a while and I just want to tell you that your life is such a reflection of beauty. You glow with loveliness. My soul feels such calm when visiting romantic thoughts. It fills my heart with thankfulness to read your post about desiring peace and refinement. I have always loved that song by Jennifer Knapp. Haven't heard it in a long time, I think I need to pull that CD out of the boxes. It is GOOD you desire such things. And it makes me like you all the more. You are precious...precious to the King. I know even more beauty will come forth from desiring and seeking refinement and rest for these are pure.

I also want to say that I just love those blue rose china bowls you got. Oh my, how much I want them!!! And I love the pics of the white buttons and Renoir in his canopy~beauty! Continue to dance about us in all white.

PS we listen to the ONCE soundtrack too. Isn't it worshipful?!

Kelly said...

Oh don't you wish you knew all the stories behind those photos!! And I love Renoir's little spot, hopefully when Elizabeth is out of her *chew everything* stage I can make one for her too!?

Kelly

miss gracies house said...

What great finds-I especially like the little calling card-gorgeous!

I am glad you are resting and enjoying time with your mother and husband. It's all about balance. So easy to say- so hard to do. But this is all fluff, (although *pretty* fluff)-it's still just. I a in the same struggle myself! I think it is just one of the battls of life!
May god give you peace as you seek HIS balance!
Rene'

Trish said...

Oh my! What wonderful treasures you found at the auction! Your blog is inspiringly beautiful! Thank you for such an enjoyable visit.

Tracie said...

Hi Alice,
What a treat for my eyes here. I have to say my favorite is Renoir in the canopy - just lovely. Your earrings are beautiful, I am going to check out the Etsy site in just a minute - thank you for sharing.
Happy day!
xo~Tracie

Fabulous Finds Studio said...

I'm so glad you adopted those photos, Alice. I always feel sorry for these photos that have been lost by family members and I, too wonder what kind of life these people led. I've only been to a couple of auctions but they were fun...looks like you found some fun goodies!

Best Wishes,
Julie

Natasha Burns said...

Love all the beautiful goodies you found Alice! I always love checking out your photos too, to see what Renoir is up to. He is the most loved doggy I know, he's so gorgeous!

Sweet Sage said...

Some amazing treasures, Alice! I especially love the photographs. And I've always believed that it's the little things that matter the most!
~ my best

karlascottage.typepad.com said...

What a nice haul you made at the auction! Such pretty things.

Heather ~ Pretty Petals said...

ooohh... I am loving all of your pretty finds!!! I LOVE those frames with the bows on top.... gorgeous gorgoeus!!!

Your sweet little dog is adorable all wrapped in the curtains..lol.

xoxo

Sweet Repose said...

Sweet, sweet Renoir, I am afraid that my sweet Scratchy (cairn) would have the canopy in shreds...too many cats and squirrels to bark at from her guardpost. Love the pearl buttons. My hometown, Muscatine, Iowa is the pearl button capital of the world, being right on the Mississippi River. I remember, back in the day, our driveways were covered in pearl buttons and shell castings instead of gravel, what a great place for a little girl to find luminous treasures.
Have a wonderful weekend.
Sharon and Scratchy

Julie said...

Beautiful! Makes me want to go to an auction. I've only been to one and that was mostly furniture. Your dog reminds me of my mom's Westie ("Mr Wiggins") He even has a matching harness :O)

Sophee-a Laroo Bijoux and Sheri too said...

As always your blog is a peaceful and lovely visit....Thank You!

CIELO said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
CIELO said...

Lovely finds.... specially those gorgeous earrings... those antique cabinet photos usually found at public sales and flea markets make me sad... they are beautiful, but I can't stop thinking about those people's lives, who they were, if they were ever happy and what type of life or death the had, or why would their loved ones abandoned their photographs... anyways, I'm a forever sentimental, I guess. :)

pd: The house in the roses is having a dessert festival… come and participate. It promises to be FANTASTIC!!!

Cielo

Counting Your Blessings said...

Sounds like perfect moments and perfect little pleasures! Blessings... POlly

Sarah said...

What a fun lot of photos you were able to purchase. Ooooh! I love the wooden circle frames. Those are great! It's so fun to go antiquing and to come home with treasures!
Sarah
http://vintagelily.typepad.com/my_weblog/

Lina said...

Just came across your blog, and i just wanted to tell you i love the whole layout, the colors, everything about it!! And please, please can you tell me who the name of the artist whose music is playing? I loved it...

Denise said...

What a lovely blog you have! Thank you for sharing all the beautiful pictures and ideas. I'm so glad you had a successful trip to auction and have an appreciation for things such as old photos.

Thank you for sharing and have a lovely week!

Marina Capano said...

Hi! I love your Post! I enjoyed!I invited you for my virtual party.
I hope you!!!!

xoxoxoxoxo