Be sure to update...

This is no longer an active blog.

Please visit me now at Thoughts from Alice W.

Hope you will stop by for a visit!
~Alice W.

Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Seeking Peace and Refinement

I don't know about Renoir (the adorable Terrier above), but I know that my heart is longing for peace and refinement. Perhaps it is the anticipation that the spring whether brings, or the "busyness" of life, that can leave us feeling burnt out, and force us to reflect on what matters most...
Like a child anticipating the end of school and the warm drops of sun on my skin, I find myself getting ancy and impatient. Maybe letting the business of work over take me, and feeling more "controlled" than in control, I am now wanting that time again to regroup...reflect...refine who I am.
I find my mind wandering to old friends and relationships...that I once held so dear...and who have since drifted out of my life. How do we let these relationships go so easily? The same holds true for my walk with God...that I once cherished to my core...but now hardly have the time to glance at a Bible, let alone pick one up and read it.
I find myself now, at 26, more unsure of who I am than at any other point before. And shouldn't it be going in the other direction...where I find myself becoming more refined in who I am, what I am about, how I live? How easy it has been to let life take control...and forget...that I have a say in how this ship is steered...So, as the song playing now on this page asks, I too have the same humble request:
"I come into this place, burning to receive your peace
I come with my own chains, for wars I fought for my own selfish gains

You're my God and my Father, I've accepted Your son
But my soul feels so empty now, what have I become?

Lord...
Come with your fire, burn my desires
Refine me
Lord...
My will has deceived me, please come and free me
Refine me...
My heart can't see, when I only look at me
My soul can't hear, when I only think of my own fears.
But they are gone in a moment, you're forever the same.
Why did I look away from you?
How can I speak your name?
Lord...Come with your fire, burn my desires
Refine me
Lord...My will has deceived me, please come and free me
Come rescue this child, for I long to be reconciled to you...
It's all I can do, to give my heart and soul to you
and pray..... and pray..... oh I will pray..."

10 comments:

The Feathered Nest said...

Oh Alice. This post is so beautiful and the song is precious ~ speaking volumes!! We all do get caught up in the trappings of this world...always needing gentle reminders of truly why we are here.

I'm still working on your gifts!!! xxoo, Dawn

christineannette said...

Alice,
Renoir is so cute. He reminds me of a cat sitting in the window like that.
Oh to be 26 again! I'm 38 and still have days like yours. You need to grab a coat and go out for awhile. It doesn't matter whether you drive or walk but take in everything you see. The buds on the trees to the un-green grass. Take it all in and you will feel at one with this earth and thankful for all you have. Then take time to reflect on things you haven't done in a long time and make a list and do them one by one, but take your time. No rushing, it won't feel natural and it will make you feel stressed again. Our lives are busy busy busy. Just take time for "YOU".
Hugs, Christine

Sweet Sage said...

Alice~
You are very wise and blessed to have come to this realization at such a tender age. You have touched more hearts than you can know. I wish you peace and rest.
~kim

karlascottage.typepad.com said...

This is a beautiful place to visit, for a calming break. And the music was perfect with the photos.

Tracie said...

Alice,
Beautiful post, beautiful photos and really made me think as well.

That Renoir is so photogenic!
xo~Tracie

Heather ~ Pretty Petals said...

Hi Alice... oh yes, I can SO relate to this on SO many levels. I often feel that sense of being "controlled" and not "in control"... you have articulated so well how it is so important to take a step back from life and find the peace within ourselves and focus. You have a beautiful spirit sweet girl, it shines right through. :)

I truly see why so many people today do yoga and things like that... it is a way to center yourself each day. I would love to try something like that myself.

xoxo Heather

Counting Your Blessings said...

I didn't even realize that you had posted about some of the very things that we've been talking about. You know my heart =) Blessings.. Polly (p.s. Jennifer Knapp is probably my all time favorite Christian singer!)

Kelly said...

Oh Alice big ((HUGS)) to you!!! We all find ourselves in this place.....wondering how we let some things slip away. Just step back and set your priorities, sit and reflect.....God is always listening!

Love ya!!!!

Kelly

Musing of a Patched Heart said...

Oh Alice, I love that you are so honest on your blog! Jennifer Knapp is one of my favorite Christian musicians ever. What a perfect song to be reflecting on. I want to encourage you...You are SO on target! I remember what I was all about at 26 and I can tell you that you are shining brightly for the Lord. Way to put boundries in place, balance is key. Keep focusing on the Lord my dear and you will become refinded into a brilliant gem shining the light of Jesus to all you meet!xxoo Heather

Sweet Repose said...

Your little Cairn Terrier reminds me of my little cairn 'Itchy', who died at age 14 three years ago. They are so precious and fun loving, but I have another Cairn now 'Scratchy'...LET THE GAMES BEGIN...you know what I mean.
Great blog, Sharon