Be sure to update...

This is no longer an active blog.

Please visit me now at Thoughts from Alice W.

Hope you will stop by for a visit!
~Alice W.

Saturday, April 26, 2008

Spring Sales and a Surprise Gift

Spring has finally started to bloom here in Western, NY...for which I am ever so thankful. Josh, Renoir and I have been enjoying spending time outdoors lately and seeing everything come back to life...we've even planted our own flower garden (photos to come if anything actually survives...lol!).
This time of year all the sales start up again around here...so we have been doing quite a bit of shopping as well. We went to a huge indoor fleamarket/garage sale last weekend and picked up some of the most amazing finds, that I couldn't help but show off...
My favorite find...this vintage wallpaper covered divider screen...only $30! I am so in love with this screen and how it fits in perfect with the decorating scheme I have going in the dining/living room areas. This yellow, white and gold side is my absolute favorite!
The other side is pretty too and also coordinates well with the decor...now the only question...where to put it?
While I was at the sale, I noticed a woman holding an antique French gold mirror and started to peek at the price...she had already purchased it...I could feel my heart sinking and butterflies in my stomach...I HAD TO HAVE THAT MIRROR! Thankfully, it only took me about three more seconds, to realize it was my own mother (LOL!) and she was buying the mirror for me (only $3.00...can you believe it? One part is broken off...but the rest is perfect!). It is so funny to me how distracted I get by the "things I have to have"...that I neglect to notice something so obvious! Ah well...I got the mirror ;)
This gorgeous framed print was only $5.00...
I love to buy old brooches, when I come across them for the right price. And for $1.25...all of these were quite a steal...
Missing gems...tarnished...and some broken...but they are still so beautiful to me...
The first thing I purchased when I got to the sale, was a box loaded with old silver and silverplate flatware. It was tucked way under a table in a large plastic bin...thankfully I am a digger! These were some of the silver pieces...
Sorting through it all...there were so many pieces that my hands needed a good cleaning after! Only $10.00 for the box...
I have wanted one of these for some time, and was delighted to acquire this one for only $5.00...
Purchased this little set at the same time as the flatware... In a box near the jewelry, were these adorable gloves and my first ever porcelain doll! She was only $1.00.
Pretty aqua and pink rose saucers...
I went to a couple more sales this morning and acquired quite a bit more that I, of course, photographed for hours (lol!) and can't wait to show off too! Will do so within the next day or so...
***************************************************
Another thing I wanted to show off...was an amazing surprise package that came in the mail last week. When Josh said there was a package for me...I was trying desperately to remember what I had ordered. Nothing came to mind...so when I opened it, I was quite curious as to what it would be! There was an adorable notecard on top...and it was from Christine Annette. We recently started working on some web design projects together, and she wanted to send me a little something to "thank me for being me." How sweet is that?!!!

A pretty embroidered linen...
Engergizing hand soap...
Pretty tags...
Love this New York Coffee jar!

A green and white planter box...(since has made its way to our garden)...
And so much more!!! How blessed am I?!!! And this all coming the day after I recieved my swap package from Dawn! I was on "gift getting" overload...it was like Christmas in April around here!
I really do want to express my sincerest gratitude and appreciation to Christine for doing this for me. Some of you who read my posts know that I have been struggling with "life" stuff lately...and this really picked me. Thank you so much Christine for restoring my faith in the kindness of others...it means the world to me...
Merci to you too ;-)

15 comments:

heidi said...

hi alice ~ wow, you really cleaned house with that sale! i have been looking for an old wallpapered divider, and that one's a treasure!

i love unexpected gifts ~ i just got one in the mail too, and it is such a sweet gesture.

your blog is lovely, thanks for sharing. xo

Sheila R said...

I recently found your blog and it has become one of my favorites. I feel God is truly working through you. Thanks for sharing your beautiful treasures.

KATHY said...

What beautiful things you have found at your Flea Market. Wish I was there to find some great things too. Don't you just love collecting things.

Kathy

Lu Lu's Fluffy Ruffles said...

Hi Alice,
Just love all your photos, you found some great treasures!
I love the screen it reminds me of my wallpaper in my bathroom, great find!
smiles,
Sandy

Shabby Rose Cottage said...

Alice, I love all of your finds but I have to say that screen is gorgeous!

The Feathered Nest said...

Alice!!! I just love, love your taste and also each and every goodie you found at the sale!! I just want you to know that I would have bought every item you did!!! Oh, and Christine's package was just chock full of the best stuff!! What a sweet friend ~ I hope you're having a wonderful weekend ~ xxoo, Dawn

Leisa said...

What beautiful treasure you have received and acquired this week. I just love it all.

Counting Your Blessings said...

Oh my goodness - that silver... breathless!! And I'm ever so jealous about your amazing finds!! Have to go back to that one phrase: spoilt =)

I see that God has given you a kindred spirit to fill the gap ;) He's so wonderful like that. And not too soon, right?! You should have bushel baskets full of precious gifts for the blessing that you are to so many people! Overflowing Blessings... Polly

Counting Your Blessings said...

Oops - I'm sending a new friend (cindy) to you for some blog help -polly

The Other Side of Me said...

Alice,
What a wonderful collection of finds! The prices were awesome too You go girl! I am yearning to go fleaing!
I love your blog. It is such a wonderful place to visit.
Tammy

Holly (Nickname) said...

Hi Alice~
I love all of your finds an KNOW you will find a place for every single one of them!
I have to say that folding screen is my favorite and would even look wonderful just propped up behind a sofa...
xxxoo Ruth

Fabulous Finds Studio said...

Lots of fabulous finds here. I can't believe that screen was only $30. If I were at that sale, you would have had to fight me for it, lol :-0

Have a fabulous day!
Julie

christineannette said...

Alice,
A girl who loves a bargain! I enjoy reading and seeing all your treasures that you find! Not only are they fab but the prices are a steal! Please keep sharing!

Oh and the gifts, I was happy to surprise you. I hope you enjoy them.

Hugs, Christine

Wren Cottage said...

So many Treasures!!! So HAPPY for you!!!

Joy said...

Oh my goodness Alice, I love all of your photos on Flickr and now I am happily surfing your blog! What treasures you unearthed at that sale. Boy, we would have TONS of fun together! lol

Joy