Be sure to update...

This is no longer an active blog.

Please visit me now at Thoughts from Alice W.

Hope you will stop by for a visit!
~Alice W.

Wednesday, May 21, 2008

The Lilac Festival

Light Purple Lilacs
Every year, in May, the Lilac Festival is held here in Rochester. Hyland Park is covered with all different kinds of lilac trees that you can wander through and lose yourself in. It's one of my favorite things about Rochester.Light Purple Lilacs
From their website I found out that there are "1,200 lilac bushes that [display] a floral rainbow of more than 500 varieties, from deepest purple to purest white, from lightly scented to irresistibly aromatic. They cover 22 of Highland Park's 155 acres." Rochester is even recognized as developing some of the varieties that are transported around the world! Who knew in my little neck of the woods?!!
Lilac Trees
I think this variety is my favorite! I love the pale bluish-purple color...
Light Purple Lilacs

Light Purple Lilacs

Lilac Trees
Each tree is planted in someone's memory and has a little plaque attached...
In Loving Memory

White Lilac Tree
I love the white ones so much too!
White Lilac Tree

White Lilacs

White Lilacs

White Lilacs

Lilac Trees
and the purple ones!
Purple Lilac Tree

Lilac Trees
and the pink ones! There really are too many to choose a favorite...lol!
Pink Lilacs

Purple Lilacs

Purple Lilac Tree

Purple Lilacs

Purple Lilacs

White Lilacs
The festival can be quite overwhelming with all the people...but it is lots of fun with good food (Our favorite is the sugared almonds! And this year I enjoyed a Grilled Chicken Caesar Panini for lunch! Delicious!) and talented vendors showing off their arts and crafts. Josh and I purchased a children's book from a local author...he signed it for my little sister Destiney's b-day in June...and had designed some plush animals to coordinate with the story...so we had to get one of those too!
Cotton Candy
They offer horse drawn carriage rides through the park...for which the horses get a special "hair do"...lol!
Carriage Rides

Carriage Rides
There are also several other blooming trees and flowers around at the same time...so there really is beauty everywhere!
Cherry Blossom Tree

Pink Blossoms

Pink Blossom

Bright Pink Blossoms

Bright Pink Blossoms

Apple Blossom Trees

It's always sad to me that the lilacs only bloom for about 2-3 weeks...but as soon as they are gone...I long for their return the next year! If you ever plan a trip to Rochester...do it in May...so you can stop by and smell the lilacs! I posted a lot more photos on Flickr if you haven't seen enough here...lol! And here is the link to the website to learn more: http://www.lilacfestival.com/
alicesignature

29 comments:

Kerryanne English said...

Hi Alice,
Springtime certainly looks pretty in your part of the world and I bet it smells divine too.

Your photos are wonderful.
Hugs,
Kerryanne

Kathleen Grace said...

Oh lilacs! I know that lily of the valley is the flower for May, but I have always thought it should be lilacs! They bloom each year around my birthday so I look at them as my own personal flower:>)

The Other Side of Me said...

Alice,
The pictures are beautiful! I love that color and that smell...nothing like it! Some of the prettiest gardens I've ever seen have been in Ontario and surrounding parts of NY. I lived North of Toronto for 10 years and we always drove through Rochester when we came home to visit. Thanks for sharing.

PS I love the French song on your site. I usually don't like music when I blog, but this was a nice accompaniment to your post.
Have a nice week.
Tammy

The Feathered Nest said...

Alice. These photos are just beautiful! So many different colors but each so pretty ~ I image the air you breathe is heavenly!! xxoo, Dawn

My Arts Desire said...

After seeing your pics I'm convinced that the "streets of gold" will be lined with lilacs! Okay, maybe some roses, and peonies, and hydrangea, etc. too!
But these photos are heavenly! Thank you for sharing!

Sugar Bear said...

Liliacs are one of my favorites. I keep trying to convince hubby that we should plant some. It must be so sweet smelling and heavenly to walk through all of those flowers! I love how the memorial plaque has a rebirth date.
Karla

Leah C said...

Love, love lilacs! They are so pretty & have such a wonderful scent. Lilacs are my Dad's favorite flower; one of mine too:)
They always remind me of NY for some reason...maybe b/c I was born on Long Island & some of my early memories there of lilacs in bloom.
Never been to Rochester, though. What a lovely excuse for a trip there:) Thanks, Alice, for sharing so many beautiful pictures!

Fabulous Finds Studio said...

The flowers are so beautiful, they look too perfect to be real!
The food sounds yummy and I want some of that cotton candy :-)

Have a fabulous day!
Julie

Jerusalem said...

That looks like heaven! What fun! I wonder if lilacs can grow well in the south?

Lu Lu's Fluffy Ruffles said...

The lilacs and all the flowers are just beautiful!!
I love springtime and wish the flowers bloomed for a longer period of time!!
smiles,
Sandy

Heather ~ Pretty Petals said...

What an awesome day you had Alice!!! GORGEOUS lilacs (and photos)!!!

xoxo Heather

vickie said...

Alice, the pictures are beautiful. I have to put this festival on my dream trip list! Thanks for sharing, I bet the fragrance was wonderful.

Crossroads Cottage said...

How beautiful! Lilacs are one of my favorites (actually, they probably tie with Hydrangeas). Who knew lilas came in so many colors and varieites?! Thanks for sharing all of the wonderful photos. :)

Mya said...

I so love lilacs. What a beautiful festival. I could alomost smell the fragrance. I like music when I'm visiting. I can always turn it down. I just added music to my blog recently.
-Mya

Sheila R said...

Your pictures are gorgeous... I can almost smell them now. Thanks for sharing your wonderful day.

Kasey said...

i love lilacs as well.
kasey

Penny @ Lavender Hill Studio said...

Oh Alice, thank you for this wonderful post. I loved going to the Lilac Festival when I lived in Hornell. I could almost smells those beautiful blossoms from here. Great photos!
Hugs,
Penny

Pinkie Denise said...

Hello Alice,
These are such beautiful pictures, the lilacs are unbelievable! When I moved here to my Victorian house about 16 years ago, we have several lilac bushes in front. I have still been waiting for them to bloom! I love the sweet smell and all the lovely shades, my favorite colors. Thank you for sharing and taking me and this wonderful enchanted journey through all the beautiful blossoms. THe flowering trees too just gorgeous Pinkie Denise

KimberlyRyanDesigns said...

Oh my what I wouldnt do for just a small bouquet of lilacs. The smell takes me way back to Gramma's in rhode island. Her back yard fence was just brimming with tons of Lilacs during the summer. One of the beautiful gifts from God. Lucky you getting to be near them! Loved the post Alice.

Gillian L. said...

Your photographs are so beautiful! I remember reading about the Lilac Festival and hoping one day to attend it. Hopefully I will, but for now your wonderful pictures have transported me there. Thank you.

Gillian

Country French Antiques said...

Stunning, beautiful photographs!!
What a way to start the day!!
Thanks Alice!!

Sheila R said...

Your music is what completes your blog. Love it!

Sarah said...

Gorgeous!

Tracie said...

Hi Alice,
Always beautiful here~
Love the lilacs, I wish they were in season longer, but I guess that's one of the things that makes them so very special!
xo~Tracie

Enchanted Treasures said...

Beautiful photos Alice! Thanks! I just planted a purple one outside of my kitchen window. xo Roberta

Linda said...

Oh wow how beautiful, I love the way they are planted in someone's memory how beautiful.
Cheers Linda

La Donna Welter - Vintage Photo-Oil Artist said...

Alice,
How very beautiful! Thank you for sharing!
Hugs,
La Donna

KaReN EiLeeN said...

Hello to you. My first time on your blog. I LOVE lilacs. We don't get the fragrant ones here in Southern Calif, but when we visit Washington I've been known to pull over to smell some....
Be back again soon,

KAREN EILEEN
P.S. I Like YOUR music. I do find a lot of it annoying...but yours is charming.

BallerinaGurl said...

I had NO Idea there were so many varieties! I LOVEEEEE Lilacs!!! They are heaven and their scent is amazing!! I could live there in that grove too. My favorite color, one of my most favorite flowers and wow in other colors too, who knew!

Hi I am Molly, came by from Natasha's blog! Nice to meet you!