Be sure to update...

This is no longer an active blog.

Please visit me now at Thoughts from Alice W.

Hope you will stop by for a visit!
~Alice W.

Friday, May 9, 2008

A Mother's Love

Side Table
Where would we be without mothers?
A mother's existence helps us to feel safe, secure and loved in this world, and lets us know we are special...at least always to that one person. Even when, in life, it feels as though everyone has turned their back on us...hurt us...despised us...a mother will be there. A mother will love you even when you make the biggest mistakes...the worst choices. Even if you don't love her...her love carries on.
Lace and Toile
I don't know where I would be without the love of my mother. Growing up for me wasn't easy. My parent's had a difficult relationship that ended when I was about 6 years old. The difficulties a bad divorce can bring, inevitably took their toll on both my sister and me. Thankfully, with the love and support, and endless self-sacrificing of one strong woman...we made it through...

Decorated Box
So as this Mother's Day approaches...I am left to wonder...how can I repay her? How can I give back for all that she has done? Really...it seems so impossible...
Tiny Teacup
But one of the best things about mothers, is that they don't feel that same way. For them...the simplest things can bring the greatest joy. A handwritten note...a wildflower picked from the yard ...a simple thank you...all can bring tears to her eyes and warmth to her heart.
Pretty Little Things
For those of you who have your mother with you, one of the best things you can do for them is to be thankful...be thankful everyday for their presence in your life. And if you mother is no longer with you, she continues to live on inside your heart. You carry her with you each and everyday...
Pretty Little Things
For Mother's Day...I wanted to do something special for my mom because I love her so much ;). So, you will see throughout this post several photographs of her recently finished master bedroom suite. My mother painted and decorated this room all by herself and did such a fabulous job, that I wanted to show it off for her! The photos above, show a decorated toile box, tiny porcelain teacups and treasured antique and vintage pieces. The photo below is featured on my Romantic Vignettes page as the current "Vignette of the Moment":
Bedroom Vanity
This gorgeous antique vanity stool was recovered in pale pink satin...
Pink Satin Antique Stool

Pink Satin Antique Stool
My mother created this pretty bed drapery with fabric and rope...
Fancy Bed
A curtain tie-back created with burgundy trim and old skeleton keys holds back the romantic toile curtains...
Key Swag

Key Swag
Favorite collections can be found all throughout the room...like this little music box, that reminds me of my childhood, when I would put it in my dollhouse...
Piano Music Box
A corner vignette...
Corner Vignette
Mixed in with all of the Victorian decor are vintage and antique nautical pieces like the above wooden plaques, "captain's chair," the below bookends...
Ship Bookends
A little old trunk...
Old Things
And an old ship...
Old Ship
I love how my mom has mastered juxtaposing masculine and feminine touches into one cohesive and romantic bedroom.

To see more photos from my mother's bedroom, be sure to visit my Romantic Vignettes page, as well as my Flickr photos. And don't forget to tell your Mother you love her this Sunday...and every chance you get!

alicesignature

21 comments:

Counting Your Blessings said...

I see your mom is as talented as you ;) And I love your front porch too! I've whispered to Renoir to wake you up Sunday with Mother's Day kisses ...so I hope you won't mind if your "baby" gives you sloppy kisses, demands that you get out of bed and go directly outdoors and then piddles a trail from the bed to the door. =) Happy Mothers Day! Blessings... Polly

Tracie said...

Alice,
How blessed you are to have a wonderful, giving mom.
What a lovely tribute to her all your kinds words and the photos you've shown of her exquisite taste. What a great use for skeleton keys.

I am on my way to check out your vignettes for more beautiful photos.

Happy Mother's Day weekend, I bet Renior does something nice for you ;)
~Tracie

miss gracies house said...

What a lovely tribute to your Mother-she is blessed!
Have a great weekend!
Rene'

jthom03 / Jan Thomason / thomranch@hctc.net said...

i loved your post on your mom along with the photos. I wrote a post on my blog about my mother a couple of weeks ago and it was so nice to read yours.

warmly, jan

Kerryanne English said...

Hi Alice,

A lovely post dedicated to your mom (or as we say here in Australia, Mum) and mums everywhere.

I have to tell you a funny story. My children are so taken with the video of Renoir performing high fives that they are constantly calling our poor Gypsy 'Renoir' and trying in vain to teach her how to high five. Gypsy just looks at us all puzzled - and any wonder, poor dog.
Hugs,
Kerryanne

Alice's & Angela's MOM said...

OH MY GOD!!! I LOVE YOU ALICE!! You see this is all I need to see to make my Mother's Day! I love the blog, you make me look talented? haha You and your sister Angela are my life I love you both with all my heart and even though growing up your lives were not easy and we didn't have much, we had an overabundance of love and FUN!!! Thanks for putting on Coldplay "Fix You" I love that song and it fits "US". Moms do that you know, they try to "fix" everything so there is no hurt, no pain, no problems for our children and even though it wasn't necessary for you 2 girls because you both were always so good, a mom naturally tries to make the world alright again. By the way, my girls have always been and always will be PERFECT in every way. They never gave me a any real trouble or any reason to ever make me not trust what they were doing. I am very lucky and BLESSED for sure!!! I love you girls thanks for making my Mother's Day great!!! Now lets head to the Lilac Festival and have some fun today!!! Watch for pics!!

Jen ~ ARTful Dreamer said...

What a lovely post Alice. It really is so true...the simplest things warm a mother's heart. I love seeing your mom's bedroom... the bold color on the wall speaks to such passion!

Vintage Rose Collection said...

As always your photos are amazing!
Thank you for your nice comment today!
Happy Mother's Day !!!
Jo-Anne

Linda said...

Hi Alice,
What a lovely tribute to your Mum, her bedroom makeover is beautiful, she is a very talented lady.
Cheers Linda

Sugar Bear said...

My parents had a very rough relationship as well. They did not end their marriage until I was out of college - it was a happy day! Your mother's bedroom is gorgeous and she must be thrilled with your photos. I love the use of the keys as tiebacks.
Karla

christineannette said...

Alice,
What a nice tribute to your Mom. I can see where you get your unique design flair. Happy Mother's Day to her!

Smiles, Christine

CIELO said...

A beautiful tribute to your mom... and lovely pictures... thanks for sharing! :)

Hugs

cielo

Joy at Cupids Charm said...

Hello Alice! What a lovely post and tribute to your mom...and such beautiful photos too! Thank you for sharing and I hope you had a wonderful day with little Renoir. (It seems that Barkley has computer talents as he was able to type me a poem for mothers day!) You may see us on Lettermans Stupid Pet Tricks any day now! LOL! Have a wonderful week. ~ xoxo Joy

A Romantic Porch said...

Alice, What a beautiful tribute to your wonderful mother. I see she's a wonderful decorator also. xoRachel

Thrifty Miss Priss said...

What a wonderful post! I'm so greatful for my mother each and every day. A strong woman who overcame so many roadblocks too!

Thrifty Miss Priss said...

I also wanted to say what a very sweet thing you did for Sheila at Blessed and Distressed! You are an angel!

Lynne Laura said...

What a lovely tribute to your mom.

Kindredly, Lynne Laura

gail said...

Hello Alice, I received your newsletter by email and saw your blog. Its just beautiful. I belong to Make Mine Pink also. So I just wanted to stop by and say hello...Your Mothers day post was so nice. Pink hugs, gail

Sweet Sage said...

A truly beautiful post, Alice! My Mom is no longer here, but never far from thought. How blessed you are to be able to share your loves with your Mom ~ what a special bond. I have a plate hung in my garden (i posted it today) that I purchased through your Mom's ebay! She has SPECTACULAR taste, as do you! My Best~ kim

Betzie said...

This is the most gorgeous bedroom I have ever seen. Just my cup of tea!!!! Oh how I'd love to duplicate it here. We've never done a thing to our MB...and have never even bought a headboard.
Your words are just as gorgeous and your mom is as blessed as you are.

karlascottage.typepad.com said...

What a wonderful attention to detail, I love the keys added to the tie backs!