Be sure to update...

This is no longer an active blog.

Please visit me now at Thoughts from Alice W.

Hope you will stop by for a visit!
~Alice W.

Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Romantic Notions...

'
I have been sooo busy lately which is why I haven't posted for over a week! I have had lots of orders for website and graphic design work which has consumed much of my time...but Josh and I did take time this weekend to go to the flea market...which I am so thankful for! As we were nearing the end of the vendor booths, a woman had a few things still out and in a large laundry basket were several rolls of embossed wallpaper. It looked like tin ceiling tile designs and I was immediately drawn to it. The paper wasn't old...but still has an antique/Victorian look about it. She offered the entire basket of rolls for quite a deal, so I couldn't say no!
The Little Flower Collage
When I came home, I immediately went to work...cutting, finding bits and pieces to create into beautiful collages...and a new line of art was born! I have been referring to them as "Romantic Notions"...I love that they coordinate so well with romantic decor and each one has vintage sewing notions incorporated into the design.
The Little Flower Collage
I have been busy tying together tiny bundles of dried pink roses and flowers with twine...and finding the perfect old buttons to coordinate with each collage.
The Little Flower Collage
I have also included vintage text pages from French books and bits of old lace and crocheted trim to some...
Romantic Beauty Collage

Romantic Beauty Collage

Romantic Beauty Collage
One even has a little nest with three small eggs...this one is called "Ethereal Equations"...
Ethereal Equations Collage

Ethereal Equations Collage

Ethereal Equations Collage
I have listed a couple of them for sale on my website. The above ones are not as of yet, but the ones below are....this one is called "Heavenly Heart."
Heavenly Heart Collage
And the one below, I am especially in love with because I incorporated one of my own photos printed on recycled brown paper and a quote by J. M. Barrie...
December Roses Collage
"God gave us memory so that we might have roses in December"...
December Roses Collage
To purchase either of these you can find them listed here. I have so many ideas swimming in my head for more of these "romantic notions"...so look for them in the future!
**************************************************************
100th Birthday Card for Caroline
I also finally got my card for Karla's Great Aunt Caroline done! I have been so busy lately that I completely forgot I said I would make one...but really wanted to, so even though it will be late, I made one with my new wallpaper. I hope she likes it!
100th Birthday Card for Caroline
I am so in love with this wallpaper! When I own a home I think I will cover all of the walls with different styles of it...lol! And it's even paintable! So fabulous!
100th Birthday Card for Caroline
*********************************************************
Some other new art pieces I have been working on are these altered bottles. I have wanted to make some of these for several months, just never found the time to do it...and then this weekend I finally sat down and altered and adorned these two...
Romantic Bottles
One has a transferred image of an antique baby photo and the other has an illustrated clipping from a Victorian magazine dating back to 1905...
Romantic Bottles
My mother recently gave me a ton of vintage clip-on earrings which I love to embellish with...
Figure No 158D Altered Bottle
I usually remove the backs before adhering them...it's amazing how many beautiful clip-on earrings you can find at sales and vintage shops...
Figure No 158D Altered Bottle
I added this text to the bottle...
Figure No 158D Altered Bottle

Figure No 158D Altered Bottle
The bottles each have a smattering of vintage buttons in coordinating colors...
Figure No 158D Altered Bottle
I have always loved this "Little Boy Blue" bottle and was waiting for the perfect way to adorn it...
Little Boy Blue Altered Bottle
I purchased these little blue clay flowers recently and knew they would be perfect on this one...
Little Boy Blue Altered Bottle

Little Boy Blue Altered Bottle

Little Boy Blue Altered Bottle

Little Boy Blue Altered Bottle

Little Boy Blue Altered Bottle
Both bottles with be available for sale on my site asap, so look for them coming soon!
*****************************************************
***UPDATE***
The two available collages and altered bottles have sold...but look for more creations to come soon!
I hope that you enjoy my latest creations...your comments and feedback are always welcome and very much appreciated!!!

Till next time...
alicesignature

19 comments:

~Becca~Bluebird Rose said...

That wallpaper is great, and what lovely creations you have made with it! :)
~Becca~

Sheila R said...

What beautiful creations you made! Just love all of them.

Country French Antiques said...

Beautiful work!
Love your details!

The Other Side of Me said...

Hi Alice,

You have really been busy and it is all so beautiful. I agree that the wallpaper is to die for. Great find.
Tammy

Lu Lu's Fluffy Ruffles said...

Love your work! the cards collages and bottles are beautiful!!
smiles,
Sandy

CeCe said...

Alice, Kim of sweetsagevintage sent me here to view your blog. Just lovely style. My daughter is using this same kind of paper on her ceilings to emulate ceiling tins. My husband and I are in the process of revamping a cottage in the mountains. We put in real ceiling tin all over the house for the ceilings and it is my favorite thing I did. Amber, my daughter, is going to paint the paper glossy white. We would have never thought to try glossy but my real ones are glossy and it gives the loveliest glimmer. Love the projects you have created. Will visit again soon.

FrenchGardenHouse said...

Bonjour Alice, thanks so much for visiting me! I love your blog, and your creativity is wonderful. Everything is so romantic, your attention to detail is divine.
xo Lidy

Leah C said...

Alice, your talent is amazing! Everything is beautiful, but I especially love those bottles:)

Jessica said...

I love your Romantic Notions, especially the pale faded colors and laces. Beautiful idea for using the wallpaper.

Debbie from NJ said...

Oh Alice, these creations are lovely. I love that wallpaper. Where do I click to view the ones for sale? thanks so much!

Heidi (http://journals.aol.com/hwoodred/everyday-cookies/) said...

Stupendous! All of your work!
*Heidi*

Alice W. said...

Thanks everyone for you sweet compliments!

Debbie...(and anyone else who couldn't find the link) you can find the ones available for sale here:
http://www.paintedwhite.com/category_11/Mixed-Media-Collage.htm

Thanks!

Sarah B. B. said...

Those are beyond gorgeous! WOW! You have a great eye for putting things together. :)

Dorthe said...

Its really wonderfull,romantic and full of things I love: old sayings, dried roses,old buttons,wonderfull white paper and the results are so sweet.

KayEllen said...

Just found your blog:)

Just commented on your flickr picture.

Nice to meet you.

kayellen

emily said...

Hi Alice,

I emailed you a couple of weeks ago, about a website design, i'm the one from Rochester?!? Did you go to the Avon Market? I was there on Sunday morning, I remember seeing that paper there!! Small world! Love what you did with them! Beautiful!!

I'm having a giveaway on my site :)

emily

Crossroads Cottage said...

I love your new wallpapper creations. My mom has similar wallpaper in portions of her house. I've always liked it as it give walls a great texture. It reminds me of ceiling tiles too! We've debated wallpapering our sunroom ceiling with this type of paper and painting it silver. Now if only I had the patience - and skill- to wallpaper. :)

Tracie said...

Hi Alice!
Everything is beautiful...
The glass bottles are so precious.
xo~Tracie

joy said...

Your blog is so inspiring!