Be sure to update...

This is no longer an active blog.

Please visit me now at Thoughts from Alice W.

Hope you will stop by for a visit!
~Alice W.

Tuesday, June 10, 2008

The Strong National Museum of Play

Strong Museum of Play
Last week, my step-mother and I took my little sister, Destiney, and brother, Ezra, to the Strong Museum of Play here in Rochester. I hadn't been there for many years...since school field trips when I was in about 2nd or 3rd grade...but...I still remember the feeling I got when we went upstairs to their collection of antique toys and miniatures. I was obsessed (and still am!) with doll houses and doll house furniture and they have a huge collection of these. I can still remember being in awe as we walked passed each case and I could see all the intricate details of the houses. The museum has changed a lot since then...become much more "modernized" and "kid" friendly...but they still house these treasures plus more that I never knew they had!
Strong Museum of Play
On the first floor, there are tons of things to jump on, play in, and experiment with for the younger ones...Ezra and Destiney were so sweet together all day...
Strong Museum of Play
They have a replica of Sesame Street with lots of fun things to do...like seeing yourself on TV with Elmo, sitting in Big Bird's "nest" and so much more...everything is interactive and hands on...
Sesame Street

Play is Important Business
Destiney enjoyed finding Cinderella's slipper later in the day in their "Reading Adventureland"...
Cinderella's Slipper
And we found a table where you could make your own paper crown...so of course...we did! Even Ezra joined in when we were playing "King and Queen"...
The King & Queen
They have a really beautiful carousel inside as well which we took a ride on...
Carousel Ride

Carousel Ride
and a train to ride around...
Riding the Train
Girls and their shoes! She just kept finding them everywhere ;)
Ruby Slippers
The special exhibit they currently have is the Berenstain Bear's...
The Berenstain Bear's
We were a little surprised by how short they were in person ;-p
The Berenstain Bear's
And one of the favorite things about the Strong museum is the replica of Wegman's (Rochester's local grocery store chain)...where the kids get to shop and play store...
Kids Super Market (Wegman's)
You can only take 5 items at a time though...so we had to come back around several times...lol!
Grocery Shopping Fun

Grocery Shopping Fun

Grocery Shopping Fun
It really is so cute to see how they have it all set-up...very realistic!
Grocery Shopping Fun
Then you get to check out just like in the store...with real printed receipts and everything...here she is double checking...hehe...
Double Checking
And I loved how the walls were decorated with vintage ads...
Vintage Ads
One of my favorite things in the play area is the old fashioned house at "One History Place"...this is the kitchen...
Old Fashioned Kitchen
If it were bigger I would want it for my own! I love the color the wood is painted and all the bead board cupboards and wainscoting!
Old Fashioned Kitchen
Destiney's favorite thing to do was iron (or as she calls it "irun")...
Old Fashioned Kitchen
She literally did this for at least 5 minutes straight...
Old Fashioned Ironing

Old Fashioned Ironing
Then she decided to "cook" for me on the old stove...
Old Fashioned Cooking
We also enjoyed a "spot" of tea in the dining room...which we of course dressed up for (photos of me not shown here...hehe)...
Afternoon Tea
And the parlor was adorable...very elegant and Victorian...
Old Fashioned Parlor

Old Fashioned Parlor
There was even this gorgeous light fixture...
Old Fashioned Parlor

Old Fashioned Parlor
The attic is in the middle and is a few steps up...it has old trunks filled with old fashioned clothes for dress up and tons of classic children's books...
The Attic
And in a glass case there was a miniature millinery shop!
Miniature Millinery Shop
Throughout the museum, no matter where you go, you can find antique and vintage items...like these old cards...
Victorian Pet Cards
and these old nautical items...
Vintage Nautical

Vintage Nautical
My favorite find downstairs, was a case filled with vintage Alice in Wonderland items like this old book...
Antique Alice In Wonderland
and this Alice doll...I want to keep her!
Alice in Wonderland
And how cute is the Duchess?
The Duchess
And good old Tweedledum and Tweedledee...
Tweedledum & Tweedledee
I adored these vintage birdcages too! There were many more antique finds throughout the downstairs including old typewritters, books, and so much more!
Antique Birdcages
When we finally got upstairs...I was giddy with excitement...I just knew all those old treasures were waiting for me! They have a HUGE collection of antiques! I adored this baby scale...
Antique Baby Scale
And this pair of dancing dolls...
Antique Dolls
and these cute porcelain cats...
Antique Cats
There were also rows and rows of vintage china and pottery...look at all the transferware!
Antique Transferware
Then I finally started to see what I had been waiting for...the doll houses!!! I was sooo excited...heart racing...eyes widening...
Dollhouse Mansion
the excitement building with each step...
Old Dollhouses
and then guess what happened????


The battery in my camera died.


heart sinking....sadness rising...

So, unfortunately, I have no more photos....and it gets even more sad...there were rows and rows and rows of antique porcelain dolls that I would have loved to show off here as well. And the doll houses were amazing. Just as exciting as I remembered. Perhaps when I get Josh to bring me back (wink, wink to him!)...I will run upstairs first and get all the photos I want!


After we toured the vintage and antique collection we also got to tour their Butterfly "Dancing Wings" exhibit (another fabulous photo opt gone awry!)...they were so many and they were all so beautiful. The garden area was stunning as well with a small waterfall, Coy fish pond, pergolas, and tons of pretty plants and flowers! I would love to go back and get photos in there too (next time...sigh).
alicesignature

10 comments:

Sheila R said...

It sounds like you had a fabulous time with your family! What great photos and memories. Don't you just hate it when the batteries die! Boy I do!! Thanks for sharing your day.

Crossroads Cottage said...

That's one amazing children's museum. And how fun is that grocery store? Too cute.

Leah C said...

What a glorious day of play! And a great way to spend time with your family...um, do you think your sister could come to my house to do some ironing?:)

Tracie said...

The museum is beautiful (darn that battery, I wanted to see more!). Twiddle Dee and Twiddle Dum probably caused it...

Ezra and Destiney look to be having a royal time - love the king and queen photo especially ;)

I've always loved doll houses and the furniture too - used to move them around for hours - guess where it all starts with us types of decorator-a-holics.

What a fun day for all!

Tracie said...

whoops!
Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum - so sorry guys - misspelling your names ;)

The Other Side of Me said...

Alice,

What a wonderful place! I just love the old kitchen. I would love to play in there. It is wonderful that you spend time with your little sister. My daughter has a big sister too and I wish they could spend more time together. Thanks for sharing.
Tammy

Natasha Burns said...

What an amazing museum! It's so gorgeous, my little guy would LOVE visiting a place like that. Your little sister looks so happy to be there!

Counting Your Blessings said...

OMY!! I wanna LIVE there. That Kitchen is soooo yummy!! I was in the coolest store yesterday and only had my cellphone camera. The pictures were so poor that I actually called the owner today and asked if I could come back and take "good" photos. Thankfully, she was sweet and agreed - whew! Blessings... Polly (p.s. happy blogiversary!)

karlascottage.typepad.com said...

Oh my gosh, a museum for kids to play in?? How cool is that???

Jeannine said...

I just was able to purchase one of those baby scales with the wicker basket atop. What a find!

It's for sale!